Men’s open top seed Marcelo Demoliner cruised into the round of 16 with a 6-1, 6-1 victory Wednesday at the Washington State Open tennis tournament at Seattle Tennis Club.
Demoliner, who is from Porto Alegre, Brazil, and has attained a world ranking of 232 in singles and 73 in doubles, defeated Kainoa Rosa of Federal Way 6-1, 6-1.
No. 2 seed Kyle McMorrow of Olympia blanked Wil Cochrane of Ashland, Ore., 6-0, 6-0. Third-seeded Ben McLachlan of Berkeley, Calif., advanced when Danny Riggs of Pompano Beach, Fla., retired in the second set after losing 6-3 in the opener. No. 4 seed Garrett Brasseaux of Mandeville, La., defeated Wendell Watanabe of Duvall 6-3, 6-2.
Women’s open top seed Khristina Blajkevitch of Victoria, B.C., defeated Seattle’s Theresa Ball 6-1, 6-0.
- Cleared after stabbing, former UW student wants his life back
- Driver arrested after I-90 crash that killed 2
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- WSDOT chief ousted by Senate Republicans after 3 years on job
- Band's frontman: No Super Bowl halftime show for Metallica
Most Read Stories
In a round-of-16 match, second-seeded Julija Lukac of Seattle earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Shoreline’s Catherine Allen.
• The WIAA has signed a three-year agreement with MaxPreps to be the Association’s “Official Digital Media Partner and Statistician” streamlining the process to submit information for all member high schools.