Jimmy Shane in the U-5 Graham Trucking and Steve David in the U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto won the first heats of BigWake Weekend on Folsom Lake on...
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Jimmy Shane in the U-5 Graham Trucking and Steve David in the U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto won the first heats of BigWake Weekend on Folsom Lake on Saturday.
Unlimited hydroplane racing returned to Folsom Lake for the first time in 46 years. David, who was the fastest qualifier Friday, was an easy winner while Graham beat the U-37 Performance Chevrolet and driver J. Michael Kelly by 2 boat lengths.
Sunday’s final is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Most Read Stories
- 'It's bigger than sports:' Why the Seahawks decided to stay in the locker room during Sunday's anthem WATCH
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
- No more flying with reindeer: Unique Alaska planes to retire VIEW
- ‘No more agriculture in Puerto Rico,’ a farmer laments
- Huskies get first test of season out of the way and they aced it with win at Colorado | Larry Stone
The Washington State varsity four placed third in its semifinal heat and made Sunday’s Grand Final at Indianapolis’ Eagle Creek Park.
The Gonzaga varsity eight was fifth in its semifinal. The Bulldogs were second in a second varsity semifinal but the race was ruled unofficial because of unsafe conditions and will be re-raced Sunday.
In the Division II championships in Indianapolis, Western Washington advanced its varsity eight and varsity four into Sunday’s Grand Finals.
Puget Sound finished eighth in the Division III varsity eight.