After one season of college basketball, swingman Shabazz Muhammad is leaving UCLA to enter the NBA draft.
Swingman Muhammad to leave
UCLA to enter NBA draft
Shabazz Muhammad is one-and-done at UCLA.
- Beloved Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown to close
- Washington officer shoots men accused of earlier beer theft
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Queen Anne apartments -- at half the usual cost
- Bing no longer a search-engine blip
Most Read Stories
The Pac-12 co-freshman of the year announced Tuesday the news that had been expected since he arrived on campus: He is leaving to enter the NBA draft after one college season.
Muhammad, a 6-foot-6 swingman from Las Vegas, led the Bruins in scoring at 17.9 points per game and helped them win the Pac-12 regular-season title.
“I am so thankful for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play at UCLA and will always be proud to be a Bruin,” Muhammad said in a statement released by the school.
Two guards said they are giving up their final seasons of college eligibility to enter the June 27 draft — Vander Blue of Marquette and Reggie Bullock of North Carolina.
San Jose’s Gordon is suspended,
fined by MLS for anti-gay slur
Forward Alan Gordon of the San Jose Earthquakes has been suspended for three matches and fined an undisclosed amount for what Major League Soccer called “unacceptable and offensive language” toward an opponent after using an anti-gay slur.
In announcing the penalty, MLS commissioner Don Garber also ordered Gordon to attend diversity and sensitivity training beyond what all teams undergo at the start of the season.
Gordon, 31, was ejected in the second half Sunday after receiving a pair of yellow cards for fouls. Minutes before his ejection, he was seen on the NBC Sports Network broadcast using a slur toward Portland midfielder Will Johnson.
Gordon apologized after the match and said his comments don’t reflect his views.
Dave Kaval, Earthquakes president, said he was “appalled by the use of the hurtful language” by Gordon and added he will do whatever is necessary so the franchise can be “viewed as a beacon of diversity, community and equality.”
NBC networks to televise EPL
NBC is all in with the English Premier League, and the feeling is mutual.
All 380 EPL matches will be televised live by NBC and its networks next season as part of a three-year, $250 million contract.
The deal comes at a time when Fox and ESPN also have involvement in soccer. But the world’s most popular league in the world’s most popular sport will belong to NBC for the next three years.
The telecasts begin Aug. 17 and will be carried on NBC, NBC Sports Network, Telemundo, Mun2, other NBC television properties and various digital outlets.
Arlo White, a former voice of Sounders FC who calls MLS matches on NBCSN, will handle play-by-play duties from England. England-based announcers will be used on matches White doesn’t work.
Miami to host summer final
Real Madrid of Spain will be among seven European teams competing in a summer tournament that will conclude in Miami on Aug. 6-7.
Also confirmed were Inter Milan and Juventus of Italy, along with the MLS Los Angeles Galaxy. The rest of the eight-team field will be announced later.
Semifinals will be in the New York and Los Angeles areas Aug. 3-4. The final four matches in Miami will determine the champion, along with third, fifth and seventh place.
Obama honors Keselowski
President Barack Obama honored NASCAR driver Brad Keselowski, 29, at the White House for winning the 2012 Sprint Cup Series championship for the first time and for his work with wounded veterans.
Keselowski’s Checkered Flag Foundation was started in 2010 and supports wounded veterans, first responders and military members through grants and special events.
• Police officers clamored to get photos of Oscar Pistorius on their cellphones after the famed Olympic athlete was arrested on suspicion of shooting girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, South Africa’s minister of police said in a written response to a question in parliament.
Police minister Nathi Mthethwa said 49 cellphones were confiscated from officers at Boschkop police station in Pretoria after they were used to take photographs of Pistorius — a double-amputee sprinter who competes on carbon-fiber blades — when he was being transferred between court and the station soon after his arrest. Mthethwa made the revelation in a reply to parliament on Monday and it was seen by The Associated Press on Tuesday.
The minister said four “official” cellphones and 45 private phones were taken from officers Feb. 20, six days after Pistorius’ arrest. They could be used as evidence in possible disciplinary proceedings against the police officers, Mthethwa said. Mthethwa did not reveal how many officers had taken photos of Pistorius or how many — if any — are facing disciplinary action.
• The Ultimate Fighting Championship organization has suspended heavyweight Matt Mitrione, saying it was “appalled” by comments he made about transgender MMA fighter Fallon Fox.
Fox recently won a match and disclosed afterward she had undergone a sex-change operation. Mitrione was asked about the issue Monday on “The MMA Hour” and called Fox a “disgusting freak” who lied about her gender to “beat up women.”
UFC officials said they found Mitrione’s comments “offensive and wholly unacceptable.”
• The world’s No. 1-rated female boxer is leaving the sport and will focus on a career in mixed martial arts.
Holly Holm announced she will dedicate herself to an MMA career after her last scheduled boxing match, May 11 against Mary McGee.
The 31-year-old Albuquerque, N.M., boxer is focusing on MMA just as the sport is beginning to embrace female fighters. Holm is an 18-time, three-division world champion in boxing and has a 32-2-3 record. She is 3-0 in MMA bouts.
Seattle Times news services