Erik Barkhaus won the men's race, leading Seattle University to the team title in the Emerald City Open cross country race at Lower Woodland Park on Saturday.
Erik Barkhaus led Seattle University to the men’s team title in the Emerald City Open cross country race at Lower Woodland Park on Saturday.
Barkhaus won the 8-kilomter race in 25 minutes, 19.5 seconds, almost 34 seconds faster than second-place teammate Matthew McClement. Seattle’s Ryan Dennison was fourth.
The Redhawks women were third behind Simon Fraser and Club Northwest. Hannah Mittelstaedt of Seattle U. was 10th in the 6K race, which was won by Club Northwest’s Kristi Houk in 22:10.01.
Most Read Stories
Runner-up Drew Jordan led Washington State to the men’s team title and WSU’s Caroline Austin and Ruby Roberts finished one-two in the women’s race at the Inland Empire Classic in Lewiston, Idaho. Former Eastern Washington star Paul Limpf, running unattached, was the men’s individual winner.
• Seattle Pacific outshot Northwest Nazarene 26-7 but settled for a 0-0 double-overtime tie in a Great Northwest Athletic Conference men’s game at Interbay Stadium. The Falcons (9-1-3, 5-1-3) and Crusaders also tied 0-0 on Sept. 20 in Nampa, Idaho.
• Laura Moore, Riley Dopps and Megan Lindsay scored second-half goals as SPU’s women beat Montana State Billings 3-0 at Interbay Stadium. Goalkeeper Alexa Hughes notched her second shutout for the Falcons (10-2-2, 7-1-2 GNAC).
• Goals by Kristin Maris and Delanee Nilles in the second half gave Western Washington a 2-0 GNAC women’s win in Bellingham over Western Oregon. Western (12-2-0, 9-1-0) has not allowed a goal in 630 minutes.
• Do-Hee Kim scored off a deflection on Alex Taylor‘s penalty kick in the 79th minute, giving Northwest University a 1-0 Cascade Conference men’s victory in Kirkland over Warner Pacific. Joe Galbraith made 12 saves for the Eagles (8-4-1, 6-3).
• Andrew Weishaar had a goal and an assist in a 4-0 GNAC men’s win for Western Washington (5-6-2, 3-5-2) over University of Mary in Bellingham.
• Nikki Lowell hammered 15 kills and Shelby Swanson recorded a double-double as Seattle Pacific defeated Alaska Fairbanks 27-25, 23-25, 25-12, 25-10 at Brougham Pavilion. Swanson had 48 assists and 15 digs for the Falcons (8-10, 5-4 GNAC).
• Kayla Erickson’s 11 kills helped Western Washington (15-2, 8-1) sweep Simon Fraser 25-15, 25-17, 25-13 in a GNAC match in Burnaby, B.C.
• Sarah Jaeckel had 13 kills for Seattle University, but Texas-Arlington beat the Redhawks (7-12, 2-7) in a Western Athletic Conference match in Arlington, Texas, 25-11, 25-20, 25-19.
• Northwest University of Kirkland lost 26-24, 25-13, 25-20 to the College of Idaho in Caldwell, giving the Yotes 69 consecutive Cascade Conference home wins. Ashton Arbuthnot had 26 assists and Heather Shulke 17 digs for the Eagles (12-9, 6-6).
• Inglewood Country Club’s Andy Larson shot 2-over par 74 at Overlake CC to win by a stroke over Tom Brandes of Rainier CC and Steve Lee of Aldarra GC in the 59th Greater Seattle Punchbowl Tournament. Rainier CC won the team title.
• Seattle University’s Clare Sorensen is tied for 20th at 8-over 152 after 36 holes of the Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate in Palm Desert, Calif.
Kevlyn Richards (100 and 200 breaststroke) had Seattle University’s only victories as Idaho beat the Redhawks in a women’s dual meet in Moscow, Idaho, 175-86.
Whistler, B.C., won the bid to host the Ironman Canada event, beating out Kelowna, B.C., and Huntsville, Ontario. The five-year agreement starts with the 2013 race next summer.
From sports-information reports.