Seattle Pacific's Ali Worthen became an automatic qualifier for the NCAA Division II track and field championships on Tuesday when she finished...
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — Seattle Pacific’s Ali Worthen became an automatic qualifier for the NCAA Division II track and field championships on Tuesday when she finished fifth in the heptathlon with 5,071 points at the Sam Adams Multi-Event meet.
Worthen’s score was two points more than the 5,069 needed for a trip to nationals, May 25-26 in Pueblo, Colo.
Andy Hunter collected four hits, including a home run, for Gonzaga (19-7), which defeated Washington State (13-12) 9-3 in Spokane.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
Most Read Stories
Western Washington’s Dylan Goodwin fired a 2-under-par 69 to place eighth in medalist play, and the Vikings men tied for sixth in the team standings at the Barry University Buccaneer Invitational in Miami Shores, Fla.
• The Western Washington women placed 11th, its lowest finish in a tournament since 2007, at the Grand Canyon Spring Invitational in Litchfield Park, Ariz. Sophie Elstrott tied for 42nd at 20-over 162 to lead Western Washington.
• The Seattle University softball team will play its two remaining home weekends, April 14-15 and April 28-29, at the Federal Way National Little League Fields while Logan Field is under renovation.
• Western Washington’s Michael Hoffman has been named Great Northwest Athletic Conference male track and field athlete of the week.
• Kent Simpson of the Everett Silvertips was named Western Hockey League goaltender of the month for March. He had a 5-2-0-1 record in the last eight regular-season games.
Compiled from sports-information reports and other sources.