Richard Williams won’t be returning to Indian Wells
Serena Williams’ father says he won’t return to Indian Wells, Calif., the site of a tournament his daughter has skipped since 2001, when their family was booed — and subjected to racial epithets, according to his upcoming book.
“I would never go back,” Richard Williams said in a telephone interview.
- NFL.com says Seahawks have most talented roster in league, and speculate on starting lineup
- 32 families face eviction with sale of Kirkland mobile-home park
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
Most Read Stories
But he added it is up to Serena whether to play at Indian Wells again.
“She was taught to make terrific decisions,” he said. “Any decision she makes, I would be behind, 1,000 percent.”
Richard Williams’ book, “Black and White: The Way I See It,” written with Bart Davis, comes out Tuesday. It goes into detail about how Indian Wells, in his words, “disgraced America.”
Serena, the top-ranked woman in the world, was on the entry list for the event this year but withdrew, citing a back injury.
The book covers plenty of other ground, although there is not much that is revelatory about the professional tennis careers of Williams’ daughters, Serena and Venus. He said he has another book, focused more on them, in the works.
Real Madrid reaches final
Sergio Ramos and Cristiano Ronaldo scored two goals apiece, and visiting Real Madrid of Spain advanced to the UEFA Champions League final by routing defending champion Bayern Munich of Germany 4-0.
Real Madrid completed a 5-0 total-goals victory and will play either Chelsea of London or Atletico Madrid in the May 24 final in Lisbon, Portugal.
Bayern suffered its worst Champions League home defeat.
NASCAR penalizes 2 drivers
NASCAR punished drivers Marcos Ambrose and Casey Mears for their postrace altercation in the garage at Richmond International Raceway in Virginia that led to Ambrose punching Mears in the face Saturday night
Ambrose was fined $25,000 and placed on probation through May 28. Mears was fined $15,000 and received the same probation.
NASCAR said in a statement both drivers were penalized for actions detrimental to stock-car racing, and received a “behavioral penalty” because they were “involved in an altercation in the garage area after the race.”
Mears confronted Ambrose in the garage area after the race, and shoved the Australian as Ambrose seemed to be walking away.
Ambrose responded with a right hook to Mears’ eye that drew blood. He has not commented on the incident, but Richard Petty Motorsports issued a statement saying Ambrose would not appeal the penalty.
Joey Logano won the Toyota Owners 400, a Sprint Cup Series race.
Teen to compete in Indy 500
High-school senior Sage Karam will race in his first Indianapolis 500 next month in a car fielded jointly by Chip Ganassi Racing and Dreyer & Reinbold Kingdom Racing.
Karam is the reigning Indy Lights champion, but the 19-year-old from Nazareth, Pa., was unable to parlay that into a full-time IndyCar ride.
Rio delays irk IOC executive
In an unusually blunt public warning, a vice president of the International Olympic Committee called the delayed preparations for the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro “the worst I have experienced.”
Australian John Coates, who has made six trips to Brazil as part of the IOC’s coordination commission for Rio, said the Brazilians are behind “in many, many ways.”
• Notah Begay III suffered a heart attack last week in Texas and is expected to make a full recovery, Golf Channel officials said.
Begay, a 41-year-old analyst for Golf Channel and NBC Sports, was taken Thursday to a hospital in Dallas where a stent was inserted to unblock his right coronary artery. Begay, a Navajo from New Mexico, has a history of heart disease in the family.
Golf Channel said Begay, who won the last of his four PGA Tour titles in 2000, will be off the air indefinitely while he recovers.
• Defense attorneys for a former Vanderbilt football player charged with sexually assaulting a woman in a campus dormitory in June are accusing prosecutors of destroying or not preserving evidence.
The allegations were contained in a motion asking for the case against Brandon Vandenburg to be dismissed. It is the latest filing in the criminal case involving allegations of a gang rape on the campus in Nashville, Tenn.
Vandenburg’s defense team contends some of the evidence missing was text messages from then-Vanderbilt coach James Franklin — who was hired as Penn State’s coach in January — and phone records and call logs from Franklin.
The attorneys say the alleged victim told detectives Franklin and a former Vanderbilt strength-training coach contacted her during her medical exam days after the alleged assault, telling her “they cared about her because she assisted them with recruiting.”
• Former San Francisco defensive end Dan Colchico died Sunday at 76, 49ers officials said.
Seattle Times news services