On Feb. 26, former Decatur High School wrestler and mixed martial arts fighter Benson Henderson defeated Frankie Edgar to become the UFC lightweight champion.
He began his pro MMA career in 2006 with World Extreme Cagefighting and then joined the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 2010 when WEC merged with UFC.
Henderson made his UFC debut in April 2011 as he defeated Mark Bocek by a unanimous decision.
He’ll defend his UFC lightweight title against Nate Diaz on Dec. 8 in the UFC on FOX 5 event at KeyArena.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- India draws tech dreamers back home
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
Most Read Stories
Henderson talked about his mixed martial arts career, winning the UFC lightweight title belt and much more in a live chat Oct. 4 on seattletimes.com.