The Rat City Rollergirls got rolling in April 2004 and RCRG is still Seattle’s premier all-female flat-track roller derby league.
Approximately 80 active skaters make up the Rollergirls and are divided among four home teams: Derby Liberation Front, Grave Danger, Sockit Wenches, and Throttle Rockets. In addition, a small number of skilled, dedicated skaters are chosen to represent the league on its fifth team, the Rat City Rollergirls All Stars.
Tempura Tantrum of Grave Danger and Belle Tolls, who is co-captain of the Sockit Wenches, talked about the nuances of roller derby and the popularity of the sport in Seattle and around the Northwest March 6 on seattletimes.com.
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Even in death, 'Up' house owner Edith Macefield remains a mystery