SPARTA, Ky. – Rain on Saturday night forced NASCAR officials to postpone the Sprint Cup Series race at Kentucky Speedway until Sunday.
The Quaker State 400 was rescheduled for Sunday at 9 a.m. PDT. The 400-mile event will be carried live on TNT.
It was the circuit’s first postponement since last year’s season-opening Daytona 500. The marquee event was run the next night for the first time.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will start on the pole in a Chevrolet alongside Carl Edwards’ Ford.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
Greg Biffle of Vancouver, Wash., will start in 20th and Kasey Kahne of Enumclaw will start in 21st of 43.
Biffle and Earnhardt are tied for sixth in the Cup standings, led by five-time champion Jimmie Johnson.
Defending champion Brad Keselowski, winless this year, is ninth in points.
“If a couple of those things fall differently, we are sitting here with two or three wins and in the exact same spot as this time last year,” Keselowski said. “I think that is why I am not as panicked as some others might be. I don’t feel that panic within our team.”
NASCAR delayed the start of the Quaker State 400 and held out hope for a late start with jet driers on the track surface, but another band of rain led officials to postpone the race shortly after 9 p.m. local time.
• Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of England earned the pole position for Sunday’s British Grand Prix, a Formula One event in Silverstone, England, with a time of 1:29.607 for a 3.66-mile lap. Teammate Nico Rosberg of Germany was second in 1:30.059.
Hamilton has 28 poles in his F1 career.
“I haven’t been feeling comfortable in the car all weekend, so I was really happy to find a good lap and this feels fantastic,” Hamilton said.