SPARTA, Ky. – Rain on Saturday night forced NASCAR officials to postpone the Sprint Cup Series race at Kentucky Speedway until Sunday.
The Quaker State 400 was rescheduled for Sunday at 9 a.m. PDT. The 400-mile event will be carried live on TNT.
It was the circuit’s first postponement since last year’s season-opening Daytona 500. The marquee event was run the next night for the first time.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will start on the pole in a Chevrolet alongside Carl Edwards’ Ford.
Most Read Stories
- Seahawks, Titans only teams to both not take the field during day of anthem protests across NFL WATCH
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
- Huskies get first test of season out of the way and they aced it with win at Colorado | Larry Stone
- Analysis: Three things we learned from the Seahawks' 33-27 loss to the Tennessee Titans
- Pete Carroll responds to Trump comments, backs Seahawks: 'We stand for our players and their constitutional rights'
Greg Biffle of Vancouver, Wash., will start in 20th and Kasey Kahne of Enumclaw will start in 21st of 43.
Biffle and Earnhardt are tied for sixth in the Cup standings, led by five-time champion Jimmie Johnson.
Defending champion Brad Keselowski, winless this year, is ninth in points.
“If a couple of those things fall differently, we are sitting here with two or three wins and in the exact same spot as this time last year,” Keselowski said. “I think that is why I am not as panicked as some others might be. I don’t feel that panic within our team.”
NASCAR delayed the start of the Quaker State 400 and held out hope for a late start with jet driers on the track surface, but another band of rain led officials to postpone the race shortly after 9 p.m. local time.
• Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of England earned the pole position for Sunday’s British Grand Prix, a Formula One event in Silverstone, England, with a time of 1:29.607 for a 3.66-mile lap. Teammate Nico Rosberg of Germany was second in 1:30.059.
Hamilton has 28 poles in his F1 career.
“I haven’t been feeling comfortable in the car all weekend, so I was really happy to find a good lap and this feels fantastic,” Hamilton said.