Penske Racing celebrated a partial victory Tuesday when NASCAR's chief appellate officer issued a mixed ruling on penalties levied against the team.
Suspensions are reduced
for 7 Penske key employees
Penske Racing celebrated a partial victory Tuesday when NASCAR’s chief appellate officer issued a mixed ruling on penalties levied against the team.
Most Read Stories
- Seahawks' Richard Sherman, dozens of athletes respond to Trump's rant against NFL player protests
- Russian hackers tried to access Washington’s voting systems, officials say
- GOP’s know-nothing approach to health care is symptom of a bigger disease | Danny Westneat
- California brain surgeon faces more child sex abuse charges
- UW cornerback Byron Murphy expected to miss 6 weeks with a broken foot
Although most sanctions were upheld, suspensions for seven key employees were reduced from six points races to two.
Team owner Roger Penske said he was “very happy with the outcome” after John Middlebrook’s decision.
“All of us have lost points, six, eight, 10, 12 for certain infractions over the years,” Penske said. “I don’t think this is something we worry about. Obviously we don’t worry about it. But from my perspective, the key thing is to have our people back at the racetrack, operating in full control.”
NASCAR inspectors confiscated parts from the rear suspensions of the cars of defending champion Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano before the April 13 Sprint Cup Series race in Texas. NASCAR said the parts were not approved, while Penske maintained the parts had been approved but the organization was applying them in a way that fell in a gray area of the rule book.
NASCAR docked Keselowski and Logano 25 points each, and fined crew chiefs Paul Wolfe and Todd Gordon $100,000 each. NASCAR also suspended Wolfe, Gordon, competition director Travis Geisler, car chiefs Jerry Kelley and Raymond Fox and engineers Brian Wilson and Samuel Stanley for six races. Those suspensions were reduced to two points races.
“The important thing is, this is over,” Penske said. “This has been two, three weeks of constant questions, lots of emotions.”
Driver Newman avoids fine
NASCAR officials said driver Ryan Newman will not be fined for his rebuke of the organization on live television Sunday after a 12-car accident in the Aaron’s 499 Sprint Cup Series race at Talladega in Alabama.
Newman said his motive was to complain that NASCAR had made plenty of safety advances but still couldn’t figure out how to keep cars on the track. He used a vulgar phrase in the interview.
Hall class includes Wuerffel,
Dayne, 10 other players
Heisman Trophy winners Danny Wuerffel of Florida, Ron Dayne of Wisconsin and Vinny Testaverde of Miami, along with two-time national champion Tommie Frazier of Nebraska, were selected for the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind.
They are part of a class of 12 players and two coaches chosen by the National Football Foundation. The rest of the players to be inducted in December are running back Ted Brown of North Carolina State; defensive lineman Tedy Bruschi of Arizona; defensive back Jerry Gray of Texas; two-way player Steve Meilinger of Kentucky; offensive lineman Orlando Pace of Ohio State; linebacker Rod Shoate of Oklahoma; linebacker Percy Snow of Michigan State, and quarterback Don Trull of Baylor.
The new Hall of Fame coaches are Wayne Hardin, who led Navy and Temple, and Bill McCartney of Colorado.
Judge says defendants in Penn State case are stalling
The supervising judge for the grand jury that investigated how former administrators handled Penn State’s child sex-abuse scandal said in a new court filing the defendants are intentionally stalling their criminal case with repeated motions and appeals.
The defendants, former school president Graham Spanier, vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley, are accused of covering up complaints about convicted sex offender Jerry Sandusky.
Sandusky was convicted last year of sexually abusing 10 boys. He is pursuing appeals while serving a 30- to 60-year state-prison sentence.
• Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria stunned top-ranked Novak Djokovic of Serbia in the second round of the Madrid Open tennis tournament in Spain. The 21-year-old Dimitrov, ranked 28th in the world, won 7-6 (8-6), 6-7 (8-10), 6-3.
“I didn’t prepare myself so good,” said Djokovic, noting he didn’t touch a racket for 12 days after winning the Monte Carlo Masters on April 21.
• Top-ranked golfer Tiger Woods continues to get asked about a two-stroke penalty for unknowingly taking an illegal drop April 12 at the Masters.
Woods said he if saw a violation on television, he would not call it in. Television viewers — in the case of the Masters, it was David Eger, a respected rules authority — have been calling in what they think are rules violations for years.
“I don’t ever see myself calling in and saying that Kobe (Bryant) traveled or things like that, or an offensive lineman held,” Woods said. “But it’s our sport. And that’s what we’ve done and we’ve accepted. Certain groups are going to get more heat than others just because they’re on TV. It is what it is.”
• FIFA again expressed its concern with Brazil’s preparations for the 2014 World Cup after local organizers said they are facing challenges to meet the deadline for the stadium that will host the soccer tournament’s opening match in Sao Paulo.
FIFA has stated clearly it will not tolerate delays with any of the 12 World Cup stadiums. A mere two of the six Confederations Cup venues were completed on time; the home of the June 15 opener in Brasilia is yet to be completed.
• In games at the hockey world championships in Finland, Russia beat the United States 5-3 and Canada routed Norway 7-1.
• Italian cyclist Enrico Battaglin of the Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox team won the fourth stage of the Giro d’Italia.
Seattle Times news services