The stalled talks between the NHL and the players' association seemingly got a jump-start.
League proposes 50/50 split
of hockey-related revenue
The stalled talks between the NHL and the players’ association seemingly got a jump-start Tuesday.
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Priced out? Growing numbers appear to be fleeing King County
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
Most Read Stories
After watching 34 days pass without a new proposal being offered from either side in negotiations for a new collective-bargaining agreement, league commissioner Gary Bettman made a new offer to the NHLPA that proposes a 50/50 split of hockey-related revenue and a full 82-game season starting Nov. 2.
As talks resumed for the first time since last week between the league and the union, Bettman proudly announced the offer, which is crafted for — if nothing else — a quick response from the head of the players’ association, Donald Fehr.
“It was done,” Bettman said, “in the spirit of getting a deal done.”
Fehr told media the proposal is for at least six years. When asked if the new proposal was an improvement over previous offers made by the NHL, Fehr said, “In some respects, I think it is. In other respects, I’m not sure. We have to look at it.”
In the last collective-bargaining agreement, players received 57 percent of hockey-related revenue. They were asking for 53 percent to 54 percent this time.
Last month, the NHL had offered players 49 percent the first year, 48 percent the second year and 47 percent for the last four years of the CBA.
The NHL locked out its players Sept. 15 and the regular season was scheduled to begin Oct. 11.
Robinson, Stuckey, Roy
help teams win exhibitions
Players with local ties had major roles in exhibition-game victories.
Nate Robinson, a former Washington Huskies and Rainier Beach High School player, contributed game-high totals of 24 points and 13 assists to lead the host Chicago Bulls to a 100-94 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks.
Rodney Stuckey, who played for Eastern Washington and Kentwood High School in Covington, had team-high totals of 19 points and five assists as the Detroit Pistons beat visiting Orlando 112-86.
Brandon Roy, a former UW and Garfield High School standout, scored 19 points as host Minnesota beat Maccabi Haifa of Israel 114-81.
Minnesota seeks equalizer
The defending champion Minnesota Lynx, who trail the Indiana Fever 1-0 in the best-of-five WNBA Finals, seek to even the series Wednesday in Minneapolis.
“We want to make sure that we’re not a team that gets out-hungered. That is really important,” Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve said.
Indiana, guided by ex-Storm coach Lin Dunn, is seeking its first WNBA championship.
Williams wins in return
American Venus Williams cruised through her first match since the U.S. Open, beating 15-year-old WTA rookie Belinda Bencic of Switzerland 6-3, 6-1 in the first round of the Luxembourg Open.
Williams, 32, struggled with a back problem at the U.S. Open but said she felt better in her return to the court.
“I was playing with some problems at the Open. It was difficult to serve, and that’s a huge part of my game,” Williams said. “But I have worked really hard to be able to be here, and I came planning to put some good serves in the box. I was happy with it today. Right now, I’m going more for percentage than power, which is tough because I really like hitting it hard.”
• NASCAR officials announced competition changes for 2013 that include the elimination of the top-35 qualifying rule and a reduced field size in the second-tier Nationwide Series.
Starting next season, the top 35 cars in owners’ points will no longer be guaranteed a spot in the field in the top-level Sprint Cup Series. NASCAR will use a 36-6-1 format, in which the fastest 36 cars make the race on speed. The next six highest-ranking cars in owners points not already qualified then gain a starting spot, followed by the most recent eligible past-champion driver.
In the Nationwide Series, NASCAR will allow a maximum of 40 cars per race, down from 43.
• Dale Earnhardt Jr. visited noted concussion specialist Dr. Micky Collins in Pittsburgh as part of the planned rehabilitation program to get NASCAR’s most popular driver back in a car.
Earnhardt came out of Aug. 29 and Oct. 7 crashes with concussions and will miss at least one more Sprint Cup race. He didn’t compete in last weekend’s Bank of America 500 in Concord, N.C.
• Sebastian Coe, chairman of the organizing committee for the 2012 London Olympics, will become chairman of the British Olympic Association on Nov. 7. Coe will replace Colin Moynihan, who is stepping down after seven years as chairman.
• Penn State will not renew the contract of athletic director Tim Curley, who has been on leave since being charged last year with perjury and failing to report a child sex-abuse allegation against former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
Curley’s contract expires in June; he became AD in 1993. David Joyner is acting athletic director.
• American cyclist Levi Leipheimer has been fired by the Omega Pharma-QuickStep team after confessing to doping as part of the investigation that brought down Lance Armstrong, a seven-time Tour de France winner.
Seattle Times news services