The New York Jets cleared about $31 million in salary-cap space by cutting five players, including linebackers Bart Scott and Calvin Pace.
Jets clear about $31 million
in cap space with 5 cuts
As the New York Jets began a salary-cap purge Tuesday, they still faced perhaps their two most difficult offseason decisions: what to do with quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
The Jets cleared about $31 million in salary-cap space by cutting veteran linebackers Bart Scott and Calvin Pace and three other players — safety Eric Smith, backup offensive lineman Jason Smith and fullback-tight end Josh Baker.
New York entered the offseason more than $20 million over the cap for the 2013 season.
The cuts were the first significant personnel decisions made by new general manager John Idzik, who was hired to replace the fired Mike Tannenbaum last month. Idzik previously was vice president of football administration for the Seahawks.
Meanwhile, the Kansas City Chiefs released wide receiver Steve Breaston and tight end Kevin Boss.
League promotes Riveron
Alberto Riveron, the league’s first Hispanic referee, has been promoted to senior director of officiating.
Riveron, 52, was born in Cuba and moved to Miami with his family at age 5. He takes the newly created position as second in command of the department under Dean Blandino, vice president of officiating.
Report: Miami is accused
of lack of control by NCAA
Miami has received its notice of allegations from the NCAA, which accused the school of “lack of institutional control” for not monitoring the conduct of a booster who provided thousands of dollars in cash, gifts and other items to football and men’s basketball players.
A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press about the charge of lack of institutional control. That charge is typically one of the most severe the NCAA can bring after investigating rules violations.
Next up: The sanctions phase, where Miami’s penalties will be decided. The Hurricanes have self-imposed several sanctions, including sitting out two bowl games and a conference football championship game. Miami President Donna Shalala said she believes those punishments should be enough.
In September 2010, university officials told the NCAA that Nevin Shapiro, a convicted Ponzi-scheme architect and former Miami booster, made allegations to the school against former players.
Mayweather to fight on May 4
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0) will fight WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero (31-1-1) on May 4, probably in Las Vegas.
After several years on HBO, Mayweather is moving to Showtime with a lucrative multiple-fight deal. Mayweather’s move is a coup for Showtime, the CBS-owned network that has trailed HBO in boxing prominence.
Mayweather’s revenue-sharing deal with Showtime could include up to six pay-per-view fights over 30 months; he hasn’t fought since beating Miguel Cotto on May 5.
Bayern Munich beats Arsenal
Toni Kroos and Thomas Mueller scored in the first 21 minutes to help visiting Bayern Munich of Germany win 3-1 over Arsenal of England in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League second-round matchup.
The second leg of the total-goals series is in Germany on March 13.
“Let’s not hide the truth,” Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said. “It will be very difficult. We will try to make the impossible possible.”
Bayern extended its unbeaten run to 19 matches in all competitions.
In another first-leg Champions League second-round match, Joao Moutinho scored in the 56th minute to give Porto of Portugal a 1-0 victory over visiting Malaga of Spain.
FIFA has high-tech plan
FIFA officials said goal-line technology will be used at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and this year’s Confederations Cup.
The technology helps match officials judge whether the ball has crossed the line.
• Bernard Lagat, a former Washington State standout, will be in the longest competitive race of his career when he runs in the 13.1-mile NYC Half on March 17 in New York.
The 38-year-old American started out as a 1,500-meter specialist and shifted to the 5,000 later in his career, winning world championships at both distances in 2007.
• The weather forecast for the 64-player Accenture Match Play Championship, which starts Wednesday in Marana, Ariz., includes the possibility of snow. First-round golfers also might have to cope with strong wind and showers.
“We won’t be able to work on our suntans,” second-seeded Tiger Woods said.
• USA Wrestling officials said the 2015 world championships will be at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. The competition will be the first qualifying event for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Seattle Times news services