Dave Villwock piloted the Spirit of Qatar 96 to wins in two preliminary heats Saturday at the 2012 Detroit Yacht Club APBA Gold Cup. Jimmy Shane, Greg Hopp...
DETROIT — Dave Villwock piloted the Spirit of Qatar 96 to wins in two preliminary heats Saturday at the 2012 Detroit Yacht Club APBA Gold Cup.
Jimmy Shane, Greg Hopp and Mark Evans also had preliminary wins, while Mike Webster managed to escape serious injury after flipping his boat in Heat 1C.
The Detroit News reported that he was heading into the first turn during a four-lap race when his boat went airborne.
Webster’s boat was heavily damaged, but he was able to climb out of the boat with help from rescue workers and was examined at the infield medical center.
- Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Shawn Kemp to co-host party celebrating Thunder missing playoffs
- Rolled semi spills load of bees at I-5 and I-405 interchange
Most Read Stories
“I’m fine, just disappointed about the boat,” the 32-year-old Webster told the newspaper. “I’m a little banged up, minor bruises and stuff, but nothing compared to what could have been. I’m very fortunate.”
Steve David, a fellow driver, said Webster’s wreck was a “classic blowover.”
“He just caught too much air and was going faster (160 to 170 mph) than he had probably ever gone before. It was a hard hit,” David said.
Seattle’s Will Gillis was part of the U.S. men’s four that finished fourth in 6 minutes, 30.44 seconds, in the finals at the 2012 World Rowing Under 23 Championships in Trakai, Lithuania.
In the women’s pair, Anna Kaminski of Seattle and Rosie Popa finished second in the B final, eighth overall, in 8:38.01.
Cara Linnenkohl of Redmond and Carli Goldberg finished fifth in their women’s double-sculls semifinal and advanced to the B final.
Shotaro Ban of San Jose, Calif., defeated medalist and top-seeded Carl Jonson of Bainbridge Island, 5 and 4, in the championship match of the Pacific Northwest Men’s Amateur Championship, held at Wine Valley Golf Club in Walla Walla.
• David Phay of Whidbey Golf and Country Club shot a second-round 8-under 64 to lead by three shots at the Rosauers Open Invitational in Spokane.
• Jed Dalton shot a 5-under 67 to take a three-shot lead after the first round of the West Seattle Amateur.
sports-information and wire
reports and other sources.