WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. – With “The King,” Richard Petty, atop the pit box at Watkins Glen International, driver Marcos Ambrose wasn’t about to disappoint.
The aggressive Australian dueled early with Kyle Busch to fall off the pace in the NASCAR Nationwide Series race, then was flawless the rest of the way Saturday, holding off a hard-charging Busch at the end to win the race for the fourth time in his last four starts.
“It’s just something special. I’m just so thrilled for the guys,” Ambrose said. “I had my tongue hanging out the whole day. There was nothing left. I tried to hold him (Busch) back. Another lap and I would have been in trouble.”
Ambrose raced to three straight victories on the course from 2008 to 2010, then missed the 2011-to-2013 events after failing to find a sponsor.
- Death of Evergreen player, other injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
Most Read Stories
Joey Logano finished third in the Zippo 200 on the 2.45-mile road course.
Derrike Cope of Spanaway was 22nd of 39.
• Jeff Gordon earned the pole for Sunday’s Cheez-It 355 at the Glen with a fast lap of 129.466 mph. Ambrose will start in second in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event.
Greg Biffle of Vancouver, Wash., will start 28th, and Kasey Kahne of Enumclaw will start in 30th of 43.
• Authorities reportedly are investigating a crash that injured one person at a New York dirt track where NASCAR driver Tony Stewart was competing.
A fan said it appeared Stewart hit a driver who was walking on the track after they collided on a previous lap. Michael Messerly said the person struck was thrown a great distance and added Stewart did not appear to be injured.
A hospital spokeswoman said one patient was being treated from the crash at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. She would not give a condition or further details.