Kipsang sets world record in Berlin Marathon victory
Wilson Kipsang of Kenya set a world record Sunday in the 40th Berlin Marathon.
After suggesting he was in form to challenge compatriot Patrick Makau’s 2011 mark in Berlin, the 31-year-old Kipsang surpassed the record by 15 seconds to set a new world best of 2:03:23 for 26.2 miles.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, have sit-ins in Seattle
- Game thread: Huskies dominate Cougars in Apple Cup
- For UW Huskies, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin helps UW rout WSU in Apple Cup
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012
Most Read Stories
It was the eighth world record in Berlin in 15 years, strengthening its reputation as the world’s fastest course.
Kipsang earned $54,000 in prize money plus another $68,000 for setting the record.
Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya was second in 2:04:05.
Florence Kiplagat of Kenya won the women’s race in 2:21:13.
Torch for Sochi is lit
Using the sun’s rays, the Olympic torch lighting for the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, went off without a hitch in southern Greece — ahead of its journey across Russia’s nine time zones and also a trip to space before the Feb. 7-23 Games.
NHL standout Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals was the first Russian involved in the torch relay.
German Thomas Bach, the newly elected International Olympic Committee president, said he has discussed an ongoing controversy with Games organizers about Russia’s record on the treatment of gay people and had received assurances of nondiscrimination at the Olympics.
Spoelstra receives extension
Erik Spoelstra, 42, has signed a multiyear extension to remain as coach of the two-time defending champion Miami Heat, team officials said.
Finals format might change
The best-of-seven NBA Finals could return to a 2-2-1-1-1 format.
The league’s Competition Committee voted unanimously to recommend the change from the existing 2-3-2 system and owners will vote on it next month at their meetings.
All other rounds in the NBA playoffs use the 2-2-1-1-1 format, where the team with home-court advantage is at home for the first two games and, if necessary, Games 5 and 7.
Hansen gets extension
Forward Jannik Hansen, 27, and the Vancouver Canucks have agreed to a four-year contract extension worth a reported $10 million.
Celski earns relay gold
JR Celski of Federal Way helped the U.S. men’s 5,000-meter relay team win gold medals at a World Cup event in Shanghai, China. Celski, Chris Creveling, John-Henry Krueger, Jordan Malone and Jeff Simon won in 6 minutes, 47.605 seconds.
• Maximiliano Urruti scored his first Major League Soccer goal to give Portland a rain-drenched 1-0 victory over the Los Angeles Galaxy.
In other MLS matches, Columbus beat host FC Dallas 4-2 and Chris Wondolowski’s 87th-minute goal gave San Jose a 1-0 victory at Chivas USA.
• Milos Raonic of Canada beat top-seeded Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 in the Thailand Open tennis tournament final.
• Rui Costa of Portugal won a grueling road race at the cycling world championships.
Seattle Times news services