Landon Donovan plans to return for his ninth season with the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer — after spending several weeks weighing whether to call it quits.
Donovan plans to return
for 9th season with MLS Galaxy
Landon Donovan plans to return for his ninth season with the Los Angeles Galaxy after spending several weeks weighing whether to call it quits, Galaxy coach Bruce Arena said Monday.
- Amazon.com just tip of Seattle boom
- Boeing retools Renton plant for 737's big ramp-up
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Nelson Cruz drives in five, including winning run
- Aaron Hernandez: A $40 million murderer
Most Read Stories
Donovan, the team’s captain and all-time leading scorer, was not present as Major League Soccer’s reigning champion opened training camp at Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., but after practice Arena said Donovan “will be playing in 2013 for the Galaxy.”
Arena said it hasn’t been decided when Donovan, 30, would report to camp or whether the midfielder would be ready to play in the Galaxy’s opener March 3 against the Chicago Fire.
“I wouldn’t want to report that now because we still haven’t finalized it,” said Arena, who spoke to Donovan on Sunday night. “He just needs a little bit more time off. He’s had a couple of years that have taken their toll.”
Donovan, with 92 regular-season career goals for the Galaxy, had delayed confirming his return while dealing with physical and mental fatigue after playing 49 matches in 48 weeks last year. That included international competition for the U.S. team and helping lead the Galaxy to its second consecutive MLS title.
Arena said there was nothing to report regarding speculation the Galaxy might acquire midfielder Frank Lampard of English Premier League team Chelsea to replace retired David Beckham.
“When we have some definitive news, we’ll mention it,” Arena said. Asked whether the 34-year-old Lampard might be mulling offers from several teams, Arena replied, “I would imagine he’s considering multiple offers.”
Report: Ex-Miami assistants
accused of ‘unethical conduct’
At least two former Miami basketball assistant coaches have been told they will be charged with “unethical conduct” when the NCAA presents the Hurricanes’ athletic department with its notice of allegations, said two people familiar with the situation.
The sources spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because neither the NCAA nor Miami has announced the contents of the long-awaited letter, which school officials might receive at any time. The sources say two coaches will be cited for violating an NCAA bylaw that covers conduct and cooperating with investigations.
The attorney representing ex-Miami basketball coach Frank Haith in the case is angry about a report released by CBSSports.com citing an unnamed source saying Haith, who is the coach at Missouri, “is expected to be charged with unethical conduct and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance.”
Michael Buckner, one of three attorneys on Haith’s legal team, told The Miami Herald until Haith actually receives his notice of allegations from the NCAA, the report is premature.
Former Miami booster Nevin Shapiro, who is serving a 20-year sentence in federal prison for masterminding a $930 million Ponzi scheme, has said he provided thousands of impermissible benefits from 2002 to 2010 to more than 100 Miami athletes, most of them football players.
Mathieu tries damage control
Ex-Louisiana State standout Tyrann “Honey Badger” Mathieu is at the Senior Bowl in Alabama, attempting to repair his image and convince pro teams he has changed his ways.
The 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist was a spectator at the South’s team practice. He hopes to meet with interested NFL teams during his trip.
What if NFL team officials are skeptical?
“They have every right to do that,” he replied.
Defensive back Mathieu was dismissed from the LSU program in August for failing a drug test. He was arrested in October along with three other former Tigers after police said they found marijuana at Mathieu’s apartment.
Murphy, Texas reach agreement
Outfielder David Murphy, 31, and the Texas Rangers agreed to a one-year contract worth $5.775 million.
Murphy hit .304 with 15 homers and drove in 61 runs in 147 games last year. He was sixth in the American League with a .380 on-base percentage.
Bedard signs minor-league deal
The Houston Astros have signed left-hander Erik Bedard, a former Mariner, to a minor-league contract and invited him to spring training.
The 33-year-old Bedard started on opening day for Pittsburgh last season. He went 7-14 with a 5.01 earned-run average in 24 starts and walked 56 in 125-2/3 innings. The Pirates released him Aug. 28 while he was tied for the most losses in the major leagues.
Bedard, who has been hampered by injuries, is 63-64 lifetime in nine seasons with Baltimore, Seattle, Boston and Pittsburgh.
Bedard pitched for the Mariners in 2008, 2009 and 2011 and was 15-14 with a 3.31 ERA.
• Oprah Winfrey said the hardest thing disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong has done in his life is confess in an interview with her last week that he used performance-enhancing drugs to win his seven Tour de France titles.
During an appearance in Edmonton, Alberta, on her speaking tour of Canada, Winfrey told a crowd of about 15,000 she believes people will be willing to forgive the 41-year-old Armstrong for his behavior that included years of lying and bullying.
“If he is willing to do the work … he can be a real hero,” Winfrey said of the cancer survivor.
Seattle Times news services