Steve David looked in position to put a disastrous Saturday behind him at the APBA Gold Cup in Detroit on Sunday, but another mistake in the Championship Final Heat cost him a chance at winning his first Gold Cup in 23 tries.
David was leading in the 1 Oh Boy! Oberto boat after ¾ of a lap, but was penalized exiting turn two, clearing the way for Kip Brown in the 95 Spirit of Qatar to claim the win.
Jon Zimmerman in the 9 Team RedDot was second.
It was the first career unlimited race win for Brown, a 36-year-old from Ravensdale who was the H1 Unlimited circuit’s Rookie of the Year in 2008.
Most Read Stories
- No more flying with reindeer: Unique Alaska planes to retire VIEW
- ‘No more agriculture in Puerto Rico,’ a farmer laments
- Seattle to spend $177M on new streetcar line amid questions about ‘unrealistic’ revenue, rider projections
- McCain calls brain cancer prognosis 'very poor'
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
Tom Thompson was third in the 11 Peters & May. Jimmy Shane in the 5 Graham Trucking finished fourth after getting damaged by David’s boat at turn two, and David, who was leading the points standings entering the final race, was fifth.
“Right now I am so excited I don’t know what to think or say,” Brown said after the race. “It just came to us!”
Track and field
Hannah Cunliffe of Federal Way placed fourth in the women’s 200 meters at the IAAF World Youth Championships on Sunday with a time of 23.44 seconds. Cunliffe’s time, which came on the final day of the meet in Donetsk, Ukraine, was a personal best.
On Saturday, Alexa Efraimson of Camas took bronze in the women’s 1500 meters, finishing in 4 minutes, 16.07 seconds, 1.8 seconds behind winner Tigist Gashaw of Ethiopia.
• The Sounders Women (7-3-2) lost a USL W-League match at the Bay Area Breeze (4-6-2), 2-0, at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco. The Sounders are in third place in the Western Conference of the second-tier league.
From sports-information reports.