DETROIT — Jimmy Shane of Covington, driving the U-6 Oberto boat, kept his command during the heat races in the Detroit Gold Cup hydroplane races Saturday.
After qualifying and the heat races, Shane has 900 accumulated points. He won two heat races, taking Heat 1A with an average speed of 157.197 for the four laps. He also grabbed Heat 2B with an average speed of 148.941.
Heat 1B was captured by Brian Perkins of North Bend in the U-21 Miss Al Deeby Dodge. Perkins had an average speed of 148.164.
In Heat 2A, J. Michael Kelly of Bonney Lake in the Graham Trucking boat won with an average speed of 147.137. In total accumulated points, Kelly is second at 770 and Perkins is third at 750.
- As USS Ranger departs, Navy's cost dilemma takes off
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Seahawks courting a pair of cornerbacks as free agency looms
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
Most Read Stories
In Heat 2B, Jon Zimmerman of Maple Valley had his Team Red Dot/Spirit of Qatar boat lift off the water and do a complete 360 before landing right-side up. Zimmerman was not injured.