Defending national high-point champion Jimmy Shane put his new team — the No. 6 Oberto — at the top of the qualifying ladder for the Madison (Ind.) Regatta unlimited hydroplane race by posting a speed of 148.692 mph.
Shane said his new ride is, “Exactly what I expected. It’s a rocket ship! A little looser than the boat I drove last year, but it’s really fast and I love it.”
Jon Zimmerman was second fastest at 146.520 in the Team Red Dot/Spirit of Qatar. J. Michael Kelly equaled that speed in the Graham Trucking but lost the speed due to an N2 violation.
Third was Tom Thompson in the Peters & May at 143.067.
- Amid drought, Rattlesnake Lake reveals its roots
- Probe of 777 engine’s explosive failure pinpoints its origin
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Expect traffic delays when Obama arrives in Seattle Friday afternoon
Most Read Stories
From sports-information reports.