Defending national high-point champion Jimmy Shane put his new team — the No. 6 Oberto — at the top of the qualifying ladder for the Madison (Ind.) Regatta unlimited hydroplane race by posting a speed of 148.692 mph.
Shane said his new ride is, “Exactly what I expected. It’s a rocket ship! A little looser than the boat I drove last year, but it’s really fast and I love it.”
Jon Zimmerman was second fastest at 146.520 in the Team Red Dot/Spirit of Qatar. J. Michael Kelly equaled that speed in the Graham Trucking but lost the speed due to an N2 violation.
Third was Tom Thompson in the Peters & May at 143.067.
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- Costco said to get sweet deal from credit-card companies
- Boeing retools Renton plant for 737's big ramp-up
- On tour of UW station, Inslee backs $15 billion tax plan for more light rail
Most Read Stories
From sports-information reports.