Defending national high-point champion Jimmy Shane put his new team — the No. 6 Oberto — at the top of the qualifying ladder for the Madison (Ind.) Regatta unlimited hydroplane race by posting a speed of 148.692 mph.
Shane said his new ride is, “Exactly what I expected. It’s a rocket ship! A little looser than the boat I drove last year, but it’s really fast and I love it.”
Jon Zimmerman was second fastest at 146.520 in the Team Red Dot/Spirit of Qatar. J. Michael Kelly equaled that speed in the Graham Trucking but lost the speed due to an N2 violation.
Third was Tom Thompson in the Peters & May at 143.067.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Mariners trade Mark Lowe to the Blue Jays for three minor leaguers
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
Most Read Stories
From sports-information reports.