J. Michael Kelly and Jon Zimmerman won preliminary heats in the Columbia Cup in Kennewick on Saturday.
Kelly won the first heat in the No. 1 Graham Trucking and gave notice he will be a force to be reckoned with.
Gold Cup champion Jimmy Shane was second in the No. 6 Oberto after challenging Kelly all three laps.
Dave Villwock, driving the No. 37 Miss Beacon Plumbing, finished third.
- One killed, four injured in Snohomish Big Four Ice Caves collapse Monday
- Starbucks prices here to rise 3.5 times as much as nationwide
- Seahawks mailbag: Russell Okung's future, Cliff Avril's role
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
Most Read Stories
Zimmerman in the No. 9 Les Schwab Tires-Team RedDOT was the fastest qualifier into Heat 1B.
Mike Webster in the No. 22 Ranch & Home presents Payne West Insurance was second. Cal Phipps in the No. 7 Graham Trucking II was third and Jeff Bernard in the Our Gang Racing was fourth.
Racing will resume at 10:15 a.m. Sunday with Heat 2A. The final heat to decide the Columbia Cup Champion is set to go at 4:40 p.m.
From sports-information reports.