J. Michael Kelly and Jon Zimmerman won preliminary heats in the Columbia Cup in Kennewick on Saturday.
Kelly won the first heat in the No. 1 Graham Trucking and gave notice he will be a force to be reckoned with.
Gold Cup champion Jimmy Shane was second in the No. 6 Oberto after challenging Kelly all three laps.
Dave Villwock, driving the No. 37 Miss Beacon Plumbing, finished third.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Russell Wilson's agent says in 710 ESPN Seattle interview that contract talks are 'encouraging'
- It's time to let Carson Smith replace Fernando Rodney as closer
Most Read Stories
Zimmerman in the No. 9 Les Schwab Tires-Team RedDOT was the fastest qualifier into Heat 1B.
Mike Webster in the No. 22 Ranch & Home presents Payne West Insurance was second. Cal Phipps in the No. 7 Graham Trucking II was third and Jeff Bernard in the Our Gang Racing was fourth.
Racing will resume at 10:15 a.m. Sunday with Heat 2A. The final heat to decide the Columbia Cup Champion is set to go at 4:40 p.m.
From sports-information reports.