The Washington men's golf team led wire to wire and won the 54-hole San Diego Intercollegiate Tuesday at San Diego Country Club. Four Huskies finished in...
The Washington men’s golf team led wire to wire and won the 54-hole San Diego Intercollegiate Tuesday at San Diego Country Club.
Four Huskies finished in the top 14 among individuals — led by Chris Williams and Cheng-Tsung Pan, who tied for third place — as Washington claimed its second team title of the year.
Trevor Simsby was the Huskies’ unsung hero. Simsby, who grew up just outside San Diego in Carlsbad, had a triumphant homecoming by firing a final-round 69.
Simsby ended in seventh place and Charlie Hughes was 14th.
- With death on table, McEnroe jury's friendships crumbled
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- No time to eat in Silicon Valley, so techies chug their protein
Most Read Stories
T-birds win 4-3
KENT — Colin Jacobs and Connor Honey both scored in the shootout to lift the Seattle Thunderbirds to a 4-3 win over the Kelowna Rockets in Western Hockey League action Tuesday before 3,288 at ShoWare Center. The win gives Seattle (20-34-1-1) a 6-1 record in shootouts and snapped a seven-game home losing streak.
Myles Bell scored on a penalty shot in the final minute of regulation for Kelowna to send the game into overtime.
• The team of Lynnwood’s Brady Clark and Seattle’s Darren Lehto, Leon Romaniuk and Steve Lundeen, representing Seattle’s Granite Curling Club, recorded their first win in six tries in the round-robin portion of the USA Curling National Championships in Aston, Pa., on Tuesday with a 7-5 win over a North Dakota team.
• UW sophomore pitcher Kaitlin Inglesby was named this season’s first NFCA Division I National Player of the Week, for games played Feb. 10-13. Inglesby helped the Huskies get off to a 5-0 start last week by earning three wins and a save in four appearances. She also hit .400 with three home runs and six RBI. Inglesby also was named Pac-12 Softball Pitcher of the Week.
• Former Gonzaga basketball player Blake Stepp and former Sounders FC goalkeeper Kasey Keller (University of Portland) will join seven other 2012 inductees in the West Coast Conference Hall of Honor. Ceremonies are March 3 in Las Vegas.
From school and team reports