Sophomore ace Kaitlin Inglesby scattered seven hits and walked none as Washington beat softball power Florida.
CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. — Kaitlin Inglesby scattered seven hits and walked none as Washington beat softball power Florida 5-2 on Thursday in the Huskies’ opener at the Cathedral City Classic.
It was the first loss for the Gators (10-1), ranked No. 1 in the nation in the coaches’ poll. The Huskies (11-0) are ranked fifth.
Washington’s Kimi Pohlman scored twice and had a pair of hits, including a leadoff triple in the first. Shawna Wright and Kylee Lahners had run-scoring singles for UW.
Inglesby (6-0) struck out five.
Most Read Stories
• John Allen’s 18 points and four steals helped Western Washington (24-4, 15-2) clinch the Great Northwest Athletic Conference regular-season title and top seed in the league tournament with a 72-70 win in Bellingham over Seattle Pacific. David Downs scored 19 and Jobi Wall 16 for SPU (20-6, 12-5).
• Jeremy Green’s season-high 34 points and 16 rebounds led Saint Martin’s (9-17, 5-12 GNAC) past Central Washington 99-84 in Lacey. Sophomore Kevin Davis scored a career-high 27 for CWU (13-12, 7-10).
• Western Washington (19-6, 13-4) wrapped up second place in the GNAC, defeating SPU 72-62 at Brougham Pavilion behind Trishi Williams’ 20 points. Jordan Harazin scored 16 and Suzanna Ohlsen had a career-high 14 for the Falcons (16-9, 10-7).
• Sophie Russell of Central Washington (8-17, 4-13 GNAC) scored 26 points, including a tying three-pointer with 56.2 seconds remaining, but a last-second jumper by Chelsea Haskey gave Saint Martin’s a 68-66 win in Ellensburg. Brooke Paulson scored 25 and Haskey 18 for the Saints (9-18, 4-13).
• Defending Big Sky champion Portland State (14-12, 6-7) notched a 76-69 upset of Eastern Washington in Cheney. Eastern (16-11, 10-4) could still win the regular-season title with a season-ending sweep of league-leading Idaho State (20-7, 12-2) in the final two games. Brianne Ryan scored 20 — all in the second half — for EWU.
From sports-information reports.