Sylvia Hatchell: Sunday could be huge for North Carolina's women's basketball coach — as in her 900th career win. Even better: It would...
Sylvia Hatchell: Sunday could be huge for North Carolina’s women’s basketball coach — as in her 900th career win. Even better: It would come against rival Duke.
“It’s really not about me winning 900 games against Duke,” she added. “It’s about the experience those kids have playing this game. … The experience our kids have playing each other, Carolina and Duke, in any sport, it’s as good as probably playing in the Super Bowl because it is the Super Bowl of college athletics.”
Hatchell, 60, the winningest active women’s coach in Division I with an 899-316 record in her 38th season, is poised to join Pat Summitt and Jody Conradt in the women’s 900 club.
Hatchell went 272-80 in 11 seasons at Francis Marion before coming to North Carolina in 1986. Her team this year is 20-2 and ranked 11th.
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- 2 young boys suffer 'significant' injuries in explosion in Enumclaw
- FBI, police investigating Seattle officer in violent 2010 incident
- B-boys to Balkan, the Northwest Folklife Festival is under way
- Car strikes 3 at Sasquatch festival; 1 serious injury
Most Read Stories
But No. 5 Duke (19-1) need not feel picked on if win No. 900 comes at its expense: Hatchell’s 500th, 600th, 700th and 800th wins all came against North Carolina State.
The Associated Press