The Vancouver Canucks are going with goaltender Cory Schneider when they host the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night.
Canucks to start Schneider
The Vancouver Canucks are going with goaltender Cory Schneider as the starter when they host the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night.
Schneider started Vancouver’s opener Saturday against Anaheim, but was pulled after allowing five goals on 14 shots. Roberto Luongo played the rest of that game, a 7-3 loss, and started the Canucks’ 3-2 shootout loss to Edmonton on Sunday.
Most Read Stories
- Seahawks, Titans only teams to both not take the field during day of anthem protests across NFL WATCH
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
- Huskies get first test of season out of the way and they aced it with win at Colorado | Larry Stone
- Analysis: Three things we learned from the Seahawks' 33-27 loss to the Tennessee Titans
- Pete Carroll responds to Trump comments, backs Seahawks: 'We stand for our players and their constitutional rights'
Luongo, Vancouver’s former No. 1 goalie, is on the trading block after being displaced by Schneider in last season’s playoffs.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis talked to The Vancouver Sun about Luongo’s future and made this rather mysterious statement: “We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait.”
Holmstrom officially retires
Forward Tomas Holmstrom, whose 40th birthday is Wednesday, officially announced his retirement after scoring 243 goals in 15 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings.
Holmstrom, known for his willingness to absorb punishment in front of the net, helped the Red Wings won four Stanley Cup titles and earned an Olympic gold medal with Sweden in 2006.
“Some people may think I’ve been crazy all those years, taking thousands of cross-checkings to my neck, to my head, to my back,” Holmstrom said. “Then having my teammates shooting hundred-mile-an-hour pucks at me.”
Detroit lost its home opener 2-1 to Dallas.
4th-tier Bradford reaches final
Bradford, which competes at the fourth level in England, prevailed over the Premier League millionaires of Aston Villa to reach the League Cup final. The last fourth tier team to reach an English final was Rochdale, which lost to Norwich on 4-0 aggregate in 1962.
With a roster assembled for about $12,000, Bradford lost the second leg of its semifinal 2-1 at Aston Villa on Tuesday but advanced on 4-3 aggregate in the total-goals series.
Bradford will play another Premier League opponent — Chelsea or Swansea — in the Feb. 24 final at Wembley in London. Swansea leads Chelsea 2-0 heading into Wednesday’s second leg.
“It’s dreamland,” Bradford manager Phil Parkinson said. “We said tonight we had a chance to make history, and we have done it.”
Aston Villa is owned by American billionaire Randy Lerner.
Paul Lambert, Aston Villa manager, said, “It’s my responsibility … I am absolutely gutted, disappointed, hurt, everything.”
Report: Dodgers hit TV jackpot
Time Warner Cable has won a contract to carry Los Angeles Dodgers games for at least the next two decades starting in 2014, snatching the games from Fox Sports after this year’s season ends, according to a person familiar with the matter.
The deal has not yet been finalized, although it is to be announced within days, said the person, who was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The Los Angeles Times earlier reported the nation’s second-largest cable operator will pay around $7 billion to carry the games.
Motte, Cardinals agree on deal
Reliever Jason Motte, 30, and the St. Louis Cardinals have agreed to a $12 million, two-year contract, avoiding a salary-arbitration hearing.
Motte had a career-high 42 saves in 49 chances last year, when he was 4-5 with a 2.75 earned-run average; he made $2 million.
Gen-6 car gets good reviews
With less than a month remaining until the debut of the Gen-6 race car, NASCAR officials sound convinced their product will be better this season.
Much of the behind-the-scenes effort last year was spent on developing the car, which hits the track Feb. 15 at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla., for the first practice of Speedweeks.
The car was a collaborative effort between NASCAR, manufacturers and teams, which NASCAR’s vice president of competition, Robin Pemberton, said was “unparalleled in my 34-plus years in the sport.”
NASCAR chairman Brian France demanded a new car in a desire to tighten up the racing, and he said he is so far “quite satisfied” with what he has seen in testing the last two months.
Unlike the last new car, the much-maligned “Car of Tomorrow,” drivers have been complimentary toward the Gen-6 during the three offseason test sessions.
Meanwhile, Daytona International Speedway officials unveiled artist renderings that show what a proposed redevelopment of the 53-year-old racetrack would look like. The plan calls for five new entrances, a second pedestrian bridge for easier access to the track and an expanded grandstand area with thousands of new seats.
• Attorneys for George W. Huguely V, a former University of Virginia lacrosse player convicted of beating his ex-girlfriend to death, are taking the case to the Virginia Court of Appeals.
The lawyers filed a petition for appeal with the court, arguing constitutional and procedural errors entitle Huguely to a new trial. Huguely is serving 23 years in prison after being convicted of second-degree murder in the May 2010 slaying of 22-year-old women’s lacrosse player Yeardley Love. She was found dead in her Charlottesville bedroom, where Huguely confronted her after a day of heavy drinking.
Virginia has 30 days to respond to the petition.
Seattle Times news services