Geoff Baker earned a top 10 writing award and The Seattle Times Sports section was honored by the Associated Press Sports Editors earlier this month.
The Times’ Sunday Sports section was named one of the nation’s top 10 in the largest circulation category, over 175,000, and The Times also earned top 20 for daily and special sections. The Times’ Seahawks preview section featuring Russell Wilson was the special section honored.
Baker’s story on dysfunction in the Mariners’ front-office, published Sunday, Dec. 8, was one of the top 10 explanatory stories. APSE will rank the top five stories later. Former Mariners manager Eric Wedge and other former employees criticized the team’s upper management in Baker’s piece.
Baker was a former Mariners reporter who recently was promoted to sports enterprise and investigative reporter.
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
Most Read Stories
Individuals and sections will be honored at the APSE National Conference banquet in Washington, D.C., on June 28.
The Times, which has been in the largest circulation catgegory since 2010, has earned top 10 honors in one or more section category each year dating to at least 1998.
Don Shelton: 206-464-8284 or firstname.lastname@example.org