Mitch Stewart, who placed sixth in the 1,600 meters at the state track championships Thursday night, won two tennis singles matches Friday in Richland.
If Mitch Stewart’s legs hold out, the Federal Way High School junior might just win a second consecutive state tennis singles championship Saturday.
But it might be a big if.
Thursday night in Tacoma, Stewart placed sixth in the 1,600 meters at the state track championships. By Friday morning, he was in Richland, where he won twice by 6-1, 6-0 scores to reach the tennis semifinals.
On Saturday, he’ll face Garfield’s Oscar Burney at the Columbia Basin Racquet Club. Aman Manji of Skyline is also in the semis.
- One flight missed, whole trip gets canceled. And no refund
- Seahawks made mistake by drafting Frank Clark
- So how did the Seahawks' draft grade out?
- Explore this: How fast is your neighborhood densifying?
- Washington star Nigel Williams-Goss transfers to Gonzaga
Most Read Stories
Newport’s Angela Chen, who won a 4A girls doubles title last year, advanced to the singles semis with two straight-set victories. Inglemoor’s Sabrina Demerath is also in the semis.
• In the 3A tournament at the Tri-City Court Club, Interlake teammates Connor Garnett and Luat Le were joined by Mercer Island’s Brian Hou and Kennedy Catholic’s Jamie Thorpe in the boys singles semis. Garnett was the 2A champ last year. In girls singles, defending champ Nora Tan of Mercer Island will face Shea Wojciehowski of Lakeside in one semifinal. Catherine Allen of Holy Names also advanced.
• In the 2A tournament at Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, Arash Hefizi of Lake Washington and Joe Kwiatkowski of Lindbergh are through to the boys singles semifinals,
• In the 1A/2B/1B event at Yakima Tennis Center, Michele Lui of Forest Ridge and Haley Newman of South Whidbey made it to the girls singles semis.