KENNEWICK — The early rounds of racing in the Columbia Cup in the Tri-Cities went true to form as favorites Jimmy Shane in the Graham Trucking boat and Steve David in the Oh Boy! Oberto won heats 1A and 1B.
The unlimited hydroplane event concludes Sunday.
Shane was not challenged for the inside lane in the first Saturday prelim and the defending Columbia Cup champion used the short way around the course to stay ahead of Jon Zimmerman in the Team RedDOT, who ran second all five laps.
Mark Evans’ FEDCO made a strong run in third place, staying ahead of Tom Thompson in the Peters & May, who ran fourth.
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Reed brother led detectives to bodies believed to be Arlington couple
- Power mostly restored after major, hour-long outage in downtown Seattle
- Boeing plans hundreds of layoffs in local IT unit
Most Read Stories
Heat 1B started with Kip Brown in the Spirit of Qatar parking in lane one very early and crawling through the first turn. J Michael Kelly in the Miss Beacon Plumbing joined him in lane two, forcing David to lane three.
The lane proved to be no problem for the defending series high-point champ as David established the lead on the first backstretch and drove the Oberto away from Brown, who finished second.