SYRACUSE, N.Y. — The father of the driver run over and killed by Tony Stewart told The Syracuse Post-Standard that “there’s no reason for” the crash that led to his son’s death.
Kevin Ward Jr. was sent into the wall when his car was bumped by Stewart’s in a dirt-track race Saturday night in Canandaigua. Ward got out of the car and walked onto the track, where he was hit by Stewart.
Kevin Ward Sr. told the newspaper that “Tony Stewart was the best damn driver by far on the track that night. Why he had to go up as high as he did and hog my son, there’s no reason for it.”
When the 20-year-old Ward got out of his damaged car, he walked on the track and appeared to point at Stewart. Other cars drove past him, but Stewart’s right-rear tire appeared to hit him and drag him along the track.
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Jesse Jones is back: Seattle's superhero consumer reporter is now at KIRO 7
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
- This USB cable finally could be connector for long haul
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
Most Read Stories
“Apparently, Tony Stewart was the only one driving out there who didn’t see him,” Ward Sr. said.
No charges have been filed against Stewart, but they are still possible.
Ward also addressed that in his interview with the newspaper, saying: “The one person that knows what happened that night is possibly facing 10 years in prison. Is he going to say what he’s done?”
It’s still unclear if Stewart will compete in Sunday’s NASCAR race at Michigan International Speedway.
“Tony hasn’t made a decision and there is no timetable,” his spokesman said.
Stewart skipped last Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen, N.Y.
• NASCAR fined Kevin Harvick’s crew chief, Rodney Childers, $25,000 for unapproved weight in his No. 4 Chevrolet at the Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International.
• Mars has signed multiyear sponsorship deals with both Joe Gibbs Racing and NASCAR. The deal keeps Mars on the No. 18 Toyota driven by Kyle Busch.
• A German court in Munich said Bernie Ecclestone made the $100 million payment he agreed to last week, meaning the bribery case against the Formula One boss is formally closed.