Ethan’s Baby rocketed to the early lead and drew off for a 6¼-length victory Sunday in the $50,000 Angie C Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at Emerald Downs.
Ridden by David G. Lopez, Ethan’s Baby ran 6 furlongs in 1 minute, 9.29 seconds and paid $4.20, $3 and $2.20.
Ethan’s Baby, a Washington-bred, trained by Howard Belvoir, is undefeated in two starts. She earned $27,225 to push her bankroll to $37,043.
“Well, she was much the best,” Lopez said. “I was a little worried about the first part, but she broke so good. She proved she was much better than the other fillies.”
- Hawks didn't interview witnesses to ugly hotel incident involving draft pick
- Woman seeking man she kissed at marathon hears from his wife
- One flight missed, whole trip gets canceled. And no refund
- The remarkable redemption of M's prospect Jesus Montero continues in Tacoma
- Video captures fiery lava explosion at Hawaii volcano
Most Read Stories
Pippa Bou Peep, at 25-1, rallied to finish second. Seeking the Light had a tough trip and finished third.
World record set
I Keep Saying etched his name in the record books with a world-record performance.
In winning by 6¼ lengths, I Keep Saying ran 6½ furlongs on dirt in 1:12.94 to break the track and world record of 1:13.00 held by Sabertooth.
Juan Gutierrez rode I Keep Saying for trainer Jim Penney, who also trained Sabertooth when the 7-year-old gelding set the former world mark on May 22, 2005.
I Keep Saying set fractions of :22.01, :43.89 and 1:06.82 en route to the world record.
From track reports