Emerald Downs in Auburn will open its 75-day live racing meet on Saturday, April 12, it was announced Monday, a change from the traditional Friday night opener.
The racetrack will have live racing Saturdays and Sundays through April, then add Friday night racing beginning in May. The elimination of Fridays in April should help with field size at a time of the year when the horse population at the track is not at its peak.
The meet will conclude Sept. 28.
The 2014 stakes schedule will be released in February.
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Low wages for aerospace workers despite tax breaks for employers
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- A mom's tweet about Oreos in school stirs up culture wars
Most Read Stories
Emerald Downs opens for training Feb. 1, allowing horses more than 10 weeks to prepare for the season.
• Gonzaga junior Sunny Greinacher was named the West Coast Conference women’s basketball Player of the Week.
• Eastern Washington sophomore Venky Jois was selected as Big Sky Conference men’s basketball Player of the Week.
• Western Washington forward Sydney Donaldson has been named GNAC women’s basketball Player of the Week.
• Minnesota swept all of the individual events and the all-around to earn a 196.350-195.025 gymnastics victory over Washington, spoiling the Huskies season debut.
• Several members of the Granite Curling Club of Seattle will compete in the U.S. National Curling Championships March 1-8 in Aston, Pa., following qualifying at the men’s and women’s Curling Challenge Rounds.
From sports-information reports.