Emerald Downs in Auburn will open its 75-day live racing meet on Saturday, April 12, it was announced Monday, a change from the traditional Friday night opener.
The racetrack will have live racing Saturdays and Sundays through April, then add Friday night racing beginning in May. The elimination of Fridays in April should help with field size at a time of the year when the horse population at the track is not at its peak.
The meet will conclude Sept. 28.
The 2014 stakes schedule will be released in February.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season
- Man arrested in attack on Metro bus driver
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
Most Read Stories
Emerald Downs opens for training Feb. 1, allowing horses more than 10 weeks to prepare for the season.
• Gonzaga junior Sunny Greinacher was named the West Coast Conference women’s basketball Player of the Week.
• Eastern Washington sophomore Venky Jois was selected as Big Sky Conference men’s basketball Player of the Week.
• Western Washington forward Sydney Donaldson has been named GNAC women’s basketball Player of the Week.
• Minnesota swept all of the individual events and the all-around to earn a 196.350-195.025 gymnastics victory over Washington, spoiling the Huskies season debut.
• Several members of the Granite Curling Club of Seattle will compete in the U.S. National Curling Championships March 1-8 in Aston, Pa., following qualifying at the men’s and women’s Curling Challenge Rounds.
From sports-information reports.