SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. – Eastlake reached double digits in runs for the third time in the Northwest Regional Little League Tournament, defeating Big Sky of Montana by a 10-4 score on Monday night.
The Montana team posed more of a challenge to Sammamish-based Eastlake, whose coach, Rob Chandler, thought that was a good thing.
“We needed this — it’s good for our team,” Chandler said. “We needed to get this work in.”
Eastlake trailed for the first time in the tournament when Big Sky scored a run with a two-out rally in the bottom of the first. The deficit was erased quickly by an impressive Eastlake rally in the next inning, however.
Most Read Stories
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- Pete Carroll on Seahawks offense: 'There will be some things that will be a little bit different this week' WATCH
- In Seattle mayoral race between Jenny Durkan and Cary Moon, it’s the same old sexist nonsense | Nicole Brodeur
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions sips a 'Nuke Waste' during low-key visit to Kitsap
Jack Carper tripled home two runs in the top of the fourth and scored on a wild pitch to give Eastlake a 6-1 advantage.
The game ended at 10:30 p.m., and the team has a quick turnaround with a 9 a.m. game against Oregon on Tuesday.
Three runners trained by Hall of Famer Bob Baffert are among 28 nominations for the 78th Longacres Mile on Aug. 18 at Auburn’s Emerald Downs. Baffert, who won the first Mile at Emerald Downs with Isitingood in 1996, nominated Fed Biz, Drill and Liaison.
Fourteen graded winners are nominated for the $200,000 event, the Northwest’s premier race. Entries will be drawn Aug. 14.
Mill Creek crushed Pilot Rock, Ore., 13-3, to improve to 2-2 in pool play at the Junior League West Regional in Tucson, Ariz.
Manhattan Beach, Calif., crushed Vancouver 21-0 in five innings at the Senior League West regional in Ontario, Calif.
Ian Gordon, who played in the German Elite League for the past 13 years, was named Seattle Thunderbirds goalie coach.
From sports-information reports.