Dwight Perry's Sideline Chatter
Even the skydivers are bump-drafting at NASCAR races.
A parachute jumper who dropped in as part of the prerace festivities at Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway didn’t account for his trailing weight bag upon arrival in pit row.
As a result, driver Kevin Harvick’s left-side door got a big dent in it.
- With death on table, McEnroe jury's friendships crumbled
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- Supersonic business jet heads for UW testing
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Polling: Tim Tebow no longer expected to win presidency via write-in vote.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Lone runner Mike Bloomberg wins NYC Marathon.”
It’s a slam-dunk
For the first time in NBA All-Star history, the ballot positions listed won’t include any centers.
Sounds like a perfect endorsement deal for Dunkin’ Donuts.
“A World Series fan in San Francisco claims police ticketed her for trespassing after she fell out of the bleachers and landed behind the center-field fence,” wrote Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald. “Police did cut her a break, opting not to file littering charges for the cup she dropped on the way down.”
Still on spin cycle
The Lance Armstrong saga continues, with the IOC now saying Lance’s bronze medal from the 2000 Olympics could be in jeopardy.
“A little tip for the IOC,” noted TBS’s Conan O’Brien. “If Lance was on steroids and he came in third, you might want to take a peek at the guys with gold and silver.”
No. 1 in something
The Jets’ Rex Ryan was voted the NFL’s most overrated coach in a Sporting News survey of 103 players.
The team’s Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow — recently voted the league’s two most overrated QBs — couldn’t be reached for comment.
• Blogger Chad Picasner, after the Yankees claimed light-hitting catcher Eli Whiteside off the waiver wire for a reported $75,000: “It could have been more, but Eli said that’s all he could afford.”
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, after Colts QB Andrew Luck gave himself a midterm grade of “C” despite his record-setting rookie season: “Man, those Stanford professors must have been tough.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on reports that 150 of the seats in Winnipeg’s new CFL stadium have obstructed views: “Having watched the 2012 Bombers, that’s not nearly enough.”
Saints go cashing in
Saints owner Tom Benson appears ready to open his checkbook and make exiled Sean Payton the NFL’s highest-paid coach — at maybe $8 million a season — CBSsports.com reported.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com