Chicks Special Angel won the $64,530 Bank of America Quarter Horse Challenge at Emerald Downs in Auburn on Sunday.
Chicks Special Angel, the 4-5 favorite in the nine-horse field, won by 1½ lengths over Ambush Alley in the 440-yard race. The 6-year-old mare won for the 15th time in 22 starts and the winning time was 21.748 seconds.
Seattle University (2-0-0) closed out a perfect opening weekend with a 2-0 win over host College of Charleston (S.C.) thanks to two goals by Brady Ballew. Shane Haworth made six saves in the shutout.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
Host Washington State beat Montana 2-0. The shutout was the Cougars’ school-record sixth straight and extended the nation’s best active streak for shutout minutes to 652:47.
Kailiana Johnson and Jordan Branch scored goals for the Cougars (2-0-1) and Gurveen Clair made two saves in her school-record 26th career shutout.
Henrik Wiersholm of Kirkland beat Joao Menezes of Brazil 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3 in the first round of the U.S. Open junior tournament in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
From sports-information reports.