Auto racing Stewart is fined by USAC for unsportsmanlike conduct: Tony Stewart was fined $10,000 Monday for what the U.S. Auto Club deemed unsportsmanlike...
Stewart is fined by USAC for unsportsmanlike conduct: Tony Stewart was fined $10,000 Monday for what the U.S. Auto Club deemed unsportsmanlike conduct during a race for midget cars last week at O’Reilly Raceway Park at Indianapolis.
Tony Stewart Racing was placed on probation for the remainder of the USAC season.
Stewart, 37, reportedly knocked a radio headset off the head of one USAC official and shoved another after a ruling Thursday involving Stewart’s car, driven by Tracy Hines.
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- Oregon Zoo elephant Rama euthanized; loved to paint
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
- Orca baby boom continues with discovery of fourth calf
- Bertha's mammoth cutter head emerges from tunnel vault
Most Read Stories
Hines scraped the wall and pitted for a tire change, but his car was not deemed ready to re-enter the race in time to rejoin the field for a restart.
A USAC statement included an apology by Stewart, who is a two-time Cup champion as a NASCAR driver.
“Obviously, I handled this particular situation the wrong way, and if I had to do it over again, it never would’ve happened,” he said.
Stewart volunteered to pay for new radios and uniforms for USAC officials.
IRL doesn’t plan to return to Nashville Superspeedway: The Indy Racing League won’t be coming back to Nashville Superspeedway in Gladeville, Tenn., after efforts to negotiate an agreement for a 2009 race failed.
The IndyCar Series had raced at the track the last eight years, including July 12 — when Scott Dixon won a rain-shortened race.
The Edmonton Sun reports Toronto will replace the Nashville race in an 18-race IndyCar schedule in 2009.
Valdosta beats New York, Chicago and 17 other finalists: Valdosta, Ga., is TitleTown USA.
At least according to ESPN, which selected the city of about 50,000 as the nation’s top sports city. Valdosta has won dozens of sports championships and is a hub for high-school football.
It is the birthplace of several pro athletes, including NFL linebacker Randall Godfrey, who played for the Seahawks in the 2003 season.
Georgia Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle called the announcement “fitting.”
Valdosta beat out 19 other finalists, including Chicago and New York.
SEC clears Powe to play: The Southeastern Conference has cleared Mississippi recruit Jerrell Powe to play this season, three years after he signed with the Rebels. He will be a 21-year-old freshman when practice begins.
The NCAA twice denied Powe’s eligibility before declaring him a partial qualifier in August with the stipulation he must complete a year of college before joining the team. Powe has the learning disabilities dyslexia and attention deficit disorder.
Drug charge dismissed against South Carolina receiver: An attorney for South Carolina receiver Dion Lecorn, 19, said a marijuana-possession charge against his client was dismissed. Attorney Lowell Bernstein said the case was dismissed for lack of evidence.
Indiana guard Crawford transfers to Xavier: Guard Jordan Crawford, who averaged 9.7 points as a freshman for Indiana last season, has accepted a scholarship from Xavier.
Panthers defenseman agrees to extension: Defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, 24, agreed to a one-year contract extension with the NHL Florida Panthers worth at least $4 million.
Minor-leaguer sentenced: The attorney for David Cornacchia of the minor-league Florida Everblades said his client has been sentenced to one year and one day of prison for slapping a flight attendant, head-butting a passenger and exposing himself on an American Airlines flight from Toronto to Dallas.
Attorney Michael Francis Hornung said Cornacchia already pleaded guilty to interfering with a flight crew.
IBF champ Abraham is accused of sexual harassment: IBF middleweight champ Arthur Abraham has been accused of sexually harassing a masseuse during a training camp in Germany.
Officials will determine whether the complaint against one of Germany’s most popular athletes merits an investigation.
Abraham, 28, has a 27-0 record.
Toney-Rahman decision changed: The California State Athletic Commission changed its original decision on the July 16 James Toney-Hasim Rahman heavyweight fight in Temecula from a third-round technical knockout by Toney to a no decision.
Rahman told the ringside doctor he couldn’t continue because of a cut over his left eye.
Seattle Times news services