Eastside FC 98 Red of Bellevue won the under-14 girls title with a 2-1 victory over YMS Xplosion of Yardley, Pa., at the U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships in Overland Park, Kan., on Saturday.
Eastside got goals from Joanna Harber, who led all scorers in the tournament with four goals, and Ellie Bryant.
The team is the first from Washington to win the national title since the FC United under-18 boys in 1999 and the first girls team since FC Royals won the under-17-18 title in 1996.
- With death on table, McEnroe jury's friendships crumbled
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- No time to eat in Silicon Valley, so techies chug their protein
Most Read Stories
• Ryan Villopoto of Poulsbo finished fifth overall in the AMA Motocross 450 event in Millville, Minn.
The finish marks the first time this season that Villopoto hasn’t finished atop the overall podium, but he maintains the 450 Class points lead.
Villopoto was forced to work his way through the pack after a crash on the opening lap that left the points leader in 28th position in the first round.
• Todd McDougall, Olympia High School baseball coach, died of brain cancer. The Tacoma native was 43. McDougall’s teams won nine 4A Narrows League titles.
Compiled from team websites and other sources.