Eastside FC 98 Red of Bellevue won the under-14 girls title with a 2-1 victory over YMS Xplosion of Yardley, Pa., at the U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships in Overland Park, Kan., on Saturday.
Eastside got goals from Joanna Harber, who led all scorers in the tournament with four goals, and Ellie Bryant.
The team is the first from Washington to win the national title since the FC United under-18 boys in 1999 and the first girls team since FC Royals won the under-17-18 title in 1996.
- Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, rent
- Seattle-based seafood company shuts down
- What's the top spelling 'mistake' in Washington state? The answer could make you sick
- UW receiver Isaiah Renfro opens up about depression, announces he's leaving team
- Dead whale found on bow of cruise ship in Alaska
Most Read Stories
• Ryan Villopoto of Poulsbo finished fifth overall in the AMA Motocross 450 event in Millville, Minn.
The finish marks the first time this season that Villopoto hasn’t finished atop the overall podium, but he maintains the 450 Class points lead.
Villopoto was forced to work his way through the pack after a crash on the opening lap that left the points leader in 28th position in the first round.
• Todd McDougall, Olympia High School baseball coach, died of brain cancer. The Tacoma native was 43. McDougall’s teams won nine 4A Narrows League titles.
Compiled from team websites and other sources.