PRAGUE – Goalkeeper Manuel Neuer saved a penalty kick by substitute Romelu Lukaku to give UEFA Champions League winner Bayern Munich of Germany a victory over Chelsea of England in a UEFA Super Cup shootout.
Bayern Munich and Europa League champion Chelsea were deadlocked at 2-2 after extra time. Then Bayern Munich outscored Chelsea 5-4 in the penalty-kicks phase to win the Super Cup.
Ten-man Chelsea appeared to be on the verge of victory after Eden Hazard made the score 2-1 in extra time but substitute Javi Martinez of Bayern equalized with the last kick of the match to force the shootout.
All nine players converted their penalties before Lukaku stepped up, and Neuer dived to his left to keep the shot out.
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- Russell Wilson hits homer with Texas Rangers
Most Read Stories
Chelsea was left a man down when Ramires was sent off in the 85th minute after receiving his second yellow card, for a rough tackle on Mario Goetze.
Bayern won its first Super Cup in the team’s fourth attempt, earning a first trophy with the team for new manager Pep Guardiola. Guardiola won the Super Cup as Barcelona’s manager in 2009 and 2011.
Major League Soccer
• Joao Plata scored once and assisted on goals by Javier Morales and Luis Gil to lead host Real Salt Lake to a 4-2 victory over the Portland Timbers. Real Salt Lake leads MLS with 48 points.
Darlington Nagbe and Sal Zizzo scored for the Timbers, who played a man down in the second half after Ben Zemanski was sent off with a red card just before halftime.
• In another MLS match, host Toronto FC played to a 1-1 draw with New England