Awesome Gem, the leading money-earner among active North American horses, is expected to run in the Aug. 19 race.
From track reports
Awesome Gem, the leading money-earner among active North American horses, is expected to try to defend his title in the Grade III $200,000 Longacres Mile at Emerald Downs in Auburn on Aug. 19.
“We’re looking forward to defending our title,” trainer Craig Dollase said from his base at Del Mar outside San Diego. “He’s doing well since his last race, and everyone up there (at Emerald Downs) knows Awesome Gem is a good horse.”
Awesome Gem was third in the Grade III Cornhusker Handicap on June 30 at 1-1/8 miles. The horse has 11 wins and 15 seconds in 51 career starts, with earnings of $2,851,370.
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Even in death, 'Up' house owner Edith Macefield remains a mystery
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
Most Read Stories
A victory would make Awesome Gem, a 9-year-old gelding, the oldest horse to win the Longacres Mile and the first horse to win the race twice at Emerald Downs.