ATP cancels Israel Open
The ATP World Tour on Monday canceled the inaugural Israel Open that was set to be played next month in Tel Aviv because of security concerns “arising from the military conflict in the region.”
The tournament was to begin Sept. 15 and would have been the first ATP tournament held in Israel since 1996.
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Infections are the culprit in Alzheimer’s disease, Harvard study suggests
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- 1,000 fraternity, sorority members trash Lake Shasta campsite
Most Read Stories
But amid Israel’s military campaign against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, ATP President Chris Kermode said, “We do not feel we can proceed as planned given the situation in the region.”
“Ensuring the security of our players, fans and all those involved in organizing a world-class event, is our No. 1 priority,” Kermode said in a statement. “We hope to be back in Tel Aviv next year. In the meantime, and much more importantly, we hope for a swift return to peace in the region.”
Israel and Hamas on Monday accepted an Egyptian cease-fire proposal.
Female coach loses in debut
Corinne Diacre became the first woman to coach a men’s pro team in a competitive match in France when her Clermont squad lost 2-1 at Brest in the second division.
“It’s never nice to lose, that’s obvious,” said Diacre, 40. “But Brest played well. We made a couple of mistakes for their goals. But we did good things too, which is a good sign for the future.”
Orlando alters stadium plan
Orlando, Fla., officials are dropping eminent-domain proceedings against a church that had been holding up construction of a new downtown Major League Soccer stadium. The planned location of the stadium will be adjusted.
Mayor Buddy Dyer announced the decision along with Orlando City Soccer Club officials. The city is purchasing additional land that will allow it to move the location of the $100 million stadium one block west of the original site, leaving Faith Deliverance Temple untouched.
Orlando City SC will play its first MLS season in 2015 in the existing Florida Citrus Bowl. The new stadium is expected to be ready for the 2016 MLS season.
Toronto’s Defoe is injured
Toronto FC will be without striker Jermain Defoe for two to three weeks because of a groin injury.
Team officials said Defoe, who leads Toronto FC with 11 goals, likely developed the injury last week against D.C. United.
Santos gets 8-match ban
FIFA banned former Greece coach Fernando Santos for eight international matches for verbally abusing match officials in the World Cup.
Santos was banished from the sideline after extra time of Greece’s second-round match against Costa Rica, which finished 1-1. His team lost in the penalty shootout.
Santos, 59, must the serve the ban in official competitive matches played by the next national team he coaches.
U.S. men’s roster is cut to 16
The U.S. men’s team cut John Wall, Bradley Beal and Paul Millsap, a person with knowledge of the details said, leaving the roster at 16 players.
Wall and Beal are guards for the NBA Washington Wizards and Millsap is a forward for the NBA Atlanta Hawks. The 12-player U.S. roster for the World Cup in Spain must be submitted by Aug. 29.
Suns’ Tucker gets jail time
Phoenix Suns forward P.J. Tucker was sentenced to three days in jail and 11 days of home detention after pleading guilty to “super extreme” driving under the influence. Police say Tucker, 29, had a blood-alcohol level of 0.22 percent after he was arrested May 10 in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Kaminski is kicked off team
Michigan State has dismissed forward Kenny Kaminski from its program.
Spartans coach Tom Izzo announced the move, saying Kaminski could not live up to obligations despite multiple opportunities. Izzo suspended him twice last season for a total of four games and two exhibitions.
Kaminski shot a Big Ten Conference-best 49.4 percent from three-point range last season as a redshirt freshman. He averaged 4.9 points and 12.2 minutes.
• Attorneys representing the family of former California football player Ted Agu are planning to file a wrongful-death lawsuit against the Regents of the University of California.
Agu died after an offseason training run Feb. 7. Los Angeles-based firm Panish, Shea & Boyle said in a news release Cal’s training staff took too long to respond to the 21-year-old defensive end’s Agu’s symptoms of “extreme fatigue” during the run.
• A British man has received a lifetime ban from sports for supplying steroids and his daughter, an amateur boxer, has been suspended for four years.
UK Anti-Doping agency officials said Philip Tinklin is the first person to be banned by the agency for life. UKAD said his daughter, Sophie, is banned until February 2018.
Seattle Times news services