A 29-race stakes schedule featuring the 78th running of the Longacres Mile has been announced for 2013 at Emerald Downs.
AUBURN — A 29-race stakes schedule featuring the 78th Longacres Mile has been announced for 2013 at Emerald Downs.
Beginning May 12 with the $50,000 Hastings Handicap and ending Sept. 29 with the $75,000 Gottstein Futurity and $50,000 Cahill Road Stakes, a total of $1,545,000 will be offered in stakes purses.
Twenty-seven stakes are scheduled on Sundays, including the $200,000 Longacres Mile on Aug. 18.
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Seattle sets heat record for July 4
- For escapee, prison now will mean 23 hours a day in a cell
- Sound Transit planning heats up for light-rail expansion and public vote
Most Read Stories
• Western Washington’s men, ranked No. 2 in Division II, lost for the first time, 77-73 at Alaska Fairbanks, despite John Allen’s 33 points for the Vikings (24-1, 15-1 Great Northwest Athletic Conference).
• David Downs scored 20 and guard Riley Stockton had a career-high 15 rebounds as the fifth-ranked Seattle Pacific men (20-3, 13-2 GNAC) beat Saint Martin’s 60-46 in Lacey.
• Corinn Waltrip‘s 19 points led No. 8 WWU (14-1 GNAC, 20-3) to an 81-51 women’s win in Bellingham over Northwest Nazarene (10-5, 18-5).
• Hayley Hodgins scored 24 as Eastern Washington (15-10, 11-5 Big Sky) beat Portland State 83-51 in a women’s game in Cheney.
• Whitman College’s Ben Eisenhardt, a junior from Bainbridge, was named Northwest Conference men’s player of the year. Cam Schilling, a Pacific Lutheran senior from Federal Way, was a second-team choice. Whitman’s Sarah Anderegg, a junior from Redmond, was a first-team women’s selection. Whitworth’s Emily Guthrie, a senior from Snohomish, made the second team.
• Gonzaga center Kelly Olynyk was named to the Capital One Academic All-America Division I men’s first team. Louisville senior Peyton Siva, from Seattle’s Franklin High, was on the second team.
Catcher Shawna Wright hit a three-run homer and two-run single and Bryana Walker struck out 12 in a three-hitter as Washington beat Virginia 7-1 in Cathedral City, Calif. UW (7-5) later played an exhibition game.
Seattle University’s Joe Wertz advanced to the scoring finals in the 200-meter individual medley, and Murray Longbotham set a school record in the 500 freestyle at the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships in Monterey Park, Calif.
Track and field
Kaytie Bateman posted personal bests in four of five events, breaking the Seattle U pentathlon record, at the Western Athletic Conference Indoor Championships in Albuquerque, N.M. Bateman totaled 3,275 for ninth place.
Everett Silvertips hockey players and Washington Stealth lacrosse players raised more than $15,000 for local youth sports organizations in a benefit lacrosse game, the inaugural Comcast Arena Classic in Everett.
From sports-information reports.