It took a charter bus and a shuttle, but we made it up to Cypress Mountain today for men's snowboard cross finals.
It took a charter bus and a shuttle, but we made it up to Cypress Mountain today for men’s snowboard cross finals.
The West Vancouver ski and snowboard venue has had several problems since the start of the Games: transportation issues, wet weather and a lack of concessions for spectators. Most recently, 8,000 snowboard cross general admission tickets were refunded after rain washed away snow and Vanoc said the standing-room area was unsafe.
It’s unfortunate because the very video-game worthy sport is fantastic to witness. A big screen shows the majority of the track as snowboarders fly off jumps and rub elbows around corners, all while working in a bit of their personal riding style. Guns N’ Roses blasts in the background, and fans in the grandstands get a view of the final jump and finish line. Strategically-placed green Olympic rings make that view picture-perfect.
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch announces retirement in his own, unique fashion
- Black Sabbath calls it a night at the Tacoma Dome — for good
- Marshawn Lynch leaves behind a legacy like no other with Seahawks
- Seattle’s brash king of pot raking in cash and raising hackles at Uncle Ike’s
- Marshawn Lynch’s retirement announcement wasn’t classy, but it was perfect
Most Read Stories
Watch the video below to see Brewer discuss the appeal of snowboard cross, Cypress Mountain conditions and why the U.S. team is wearing these worn-jean snowboard pants …
… because I didn’t understand.
Read Brewer’s full story here.
Photo by: ODD ANDERSEN / AP