Patrizia Kummer of Switzerland has won gold in women's snowboarding parallel giant slalom.
Patrizia Kummer of Switzerland has won gold in women’s snowboarding parallel giant slalom.
Kummer cruised to victory when Tomoka Takeuchi of Japan missed a gate midway through the second run of the finals.
Alena Zavarzina of Russia won bronze just minutes before her husband, former American racer Vic Wild, now competing for Russia, captured gold in the men’s event.
Kummer’s run gave Switzerland its sixth gold medal in Sochi, tied with the United State and the Netherlands for the third-most in the games.
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Despite struggles on and off field, ex-Skyline star QB Jake Heaps still chasing his dream