U.S. speedskater Ryan Bedford pulled out a showstopper in his first Olympic 10,000-meter race.
And it had nothing to do with his time or rank in the event, as he is out of medal contention (updated results here).
Instead, he is gaining attention for his makeover from this classic look to the star-spangled hair in the photo above. The new buzz cut has stars, stripes and Olympic rings.
- Power restored after major, hour-long outage in downtown Seattle
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Boeing plans hundreds of layoffs in local IT unit
- Walkoff magic! Leonys Martin’s dramatic homer in ninth lifts Mariners
Most Read Stories
Bedford said a stylist worked on his hair Monday night, taking several hours to get the look just right. Wearing a baseball cap, he hid the design from most people until he came out to the rink to warm up for his lone individual race of the Olympics.
Before Bedford unveiled this hairstyle today, France’s Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder had my favorite reveal of the Games, when they had a quick costume change during last night’s ice dancing finals.
I think Bedford tops the ice dancers, but I wonder what official U.S. speedskating sponsor Stephen Colbert has to say.
Photo by Kevin Frayer / AP