Two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner plans to leave the New York Giants after this season rather than remain a backup to Eli Manning.

Share story

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner plans to leave the New York Giants after this season rather than remain a backup to Eli Manning.

“I am not going to be content being a backup, that’s just the bottom line,” Warner said yesterday. “I loved my year here, but I am not content being a backup. I think I showed people and did things here and won games and that I have proven I can play and start in this league.”

Warner, 33, said the Giants know how he feels.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

“I think that everybody’s thought process right now is I want to be somewhere starting next year, and they know it’s not here with the New York Giants,” said Warner, the one-time Arena League player who led the St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship after the 1999 season.

Warner, who beat out Manning for the starting job in training camp, led the Giants to a 5-2 start. He was replaced by the No. 1 pick overall in the NFL draft after losses to Chicago and Arizona, and the team has failed to win a game with Manning at quarterback.

Warner, who had been bothered by injuries in recent years, completed 174 of 277 passes for 2,054 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. He had a respectable 86.5 passer rating.

Turley, Martz shout it out

ST. LOUIS — St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Kyle Turley, upset about a remark that the team hadn’t seen him since he reinjured his back in training camp, engaged in a recent shouting match with coach Mike Martz.

Martz called the Dec. 13 flare-up with Turley in his office “a nothing deal.” He wouldn’t comment on a report that he had filed a complaint with NFL security that Turley threatened him.

“He came in and basically was concerned with a remark I made when I was asked on TV, ‘Where’s Kyle?’ and I said ‘I haven’t seen him, I don’t know,’ ” Martz said. “He came in out of the blue, and it was pretty animated.”

Martz said that by the end of the discussion, which included details of Turley’s offseason conditioning plans, the offensive tackle had calmed down. But he didn’t say the two left on good terms.

“We came to an agreement,” Martz said.

Notes

Darren Woodson, the Dallas Cowboys’ hard-hitting safety, announced his retirement.

The departure of the man whose 1,350 tackles are the most-ever for the team ends a significant era in Cowboys history: Woodson was the last player left from the 1992, ’93 and ’95 Super Bowl champions and the last drafted and groomed by Jimmy Johnson.

• The Green Bay Packers said they will no longer lower a U.S. flag to half-staff in memory of former players or team executives after complaints by military veterans following Reggie White‘s death. Instead the team said it would lower a Packers flag to half-staff from now on.

• The Washington Redskins placed RB Clinton Portis (chest muscle) and LB LaVar Arrington (knee) on injured reserve. Arizona Cardinals S Ifeanyi Ohalete has filed a complaint against Portis, claiming the running back failed to pay him a promised $40,000 for giving up his jersey number when Ohalete was with the Redskins.

• Third-string QB Sage Rosenfels will likely make his first career start Sunday for Miami against Baltimore in place of A.J. Feeley, who has a rib injury.

Vinny Testaverde will start the season finale against the New York Giants Sunday night for the Dallas Cowboys. Rookie Drew Henson will prepare as the backup to the 41-year-old quarterback.

• Oakland CB Phillip Buchanon, the Raiders’ first-round draft pick in 2002 out of Miami, said he has asked team personnel chief Michael Lombardi to trade him, saying he is not happy with the organization.

• Cincinnati Bengals DE Justin Smith has pleaded guilty to a drunken driving charge in Kettering, Ohio, and his license was suspended for six months.