Pretenders lead singer Chrissie Hynde claims she smoked marijuana with John McEnroe when he played at Wimbledon.
Here’s a scary thought: The Brat was throwing those tantrums when he was mellow?
• At SportsPickle.com: “Bengals sign Andy Dalton to 6-year, $115 million deal with team option to cut him Week 2.”
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Russell Wilson talks baseball, contract and other stuff on Jimmy Kimmel
Most Read Stories
• At TheOnion.com: “Rookie infielder still learning names of every base.”
Big Cheese Dept.
Retired QB Brett Favre — whose Green Bay records range from throwing TD passes to changing his mind on his playing plans — will finally have his jersey No. 4 retired by the team sometime in 2015.
Rumor has it the Packers plan to add waffles to Lambeau concession stands and name a new double-reverse in his honor.
Former Celtics fan favorite Brian Scalabrine took out a spoof ad to proclaim “I’m coming home,” meaning:
a) He got a broadcasting gig with Boston’s Comcast SportsNet
b) Enumclaw, Wash., was just awarded an NBA franchise
Pawns 1, Pucks 0
India crushed Canada 3½ to ½ in a second-round match at the men’s Chess Olympiad in Norway.
Canada’s title hopes were dashed when tournament officials banned frozen chess boards.
The most unusual gift given Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter on his retirement tour has been a:
a) No. 2 Wrigley Field scoreboard placard, at a Cubs game
b) Lego portrait, at an Indians game
c) “Mission Accomplished” banner from George W. Bush, at a Rangers game
Quoth the mavens
• Jack Finarelli of SportsCurmudgeon.com, after the Phillies’ Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins tied an MLB “record” by starting their 886th regular-season game as a 1B-2B-SS tandem: “Mark that down as number 5,027,268 in the file ‘Facts Not Worth Remembering.’ ”
• Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle, on why some SRO tickets at the 49ers’ new Levi’s Stadium cost $75 while others cost only $50: “For $75 you get to stand on both feet.”
• Comedy writer Alan Ray, on the first injury scare at the Ravens’ camp: “Ray Rice suffered a slap on the wrist.”
• Comedian Argus Hamilton, with the latest from Browns training camp: “Yesterday afternoon, Johnny Manziel got blitzed, but then he got up, left the strip club and came straight to practice.”
Bus stops here
The NFL exhibition season began Sunday when the Bills played the Giants in the Hall of Fame Game, 23½ years after they met in the Super Bowl.
Just for old times’ sake, the Bills’ driver missed wide right parking the team bus.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org