Third base/first base, Class A High Desert Mavericks
Selected in the first round of the 2013 MLB amateur draft with the 12th pick out of the University of New Mexico.
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch announces retirement in his own, unique fashion
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Black Sabbath calls it a night at the Tacoma Dome — for good
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson writes a thank-you letter to Peyton Manning
- Marshawn Lynch’s retirement announcement wasn’t classy, but it was perfect
Most Read Stories
D.J. Peterson might be moving up in the Mariners’ farm system. The slugging corner infielder has hit 10 of his 12 home runs this season in his last 25 games, dating to May 11. He had his 11-game hitting streak snapped on Friday night. During that run he hit .467 (21 for 45) with 12 runs scored, seven doubles, four home runs, 15 RBI and five walks. He’s raised his batting average from .267 on May 8 to .309 as of Saturday. He’s raised his on-base percentage to .360 and slugging percentage to .552 and has driven in 51 runs in 53 games.
Ex-Mariner of the week
Manager, Oakland A’s
The Mariners have had seven different managers since Melvin was fired after going 63-99 in the 2004 season. He’s fared pretty well after his dismissal. He’s won two manager of the year awards — one in each league. Melvin won the award in 2007 as the manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks, taking the team to the playoffs. He won the award as the manager of the A’s in 2012, leading the team to 94 wins and the AL West title. Last season, the A’s won 96 games and won the AL West again. Oakland is poised to win a third straight AL West title. The A’s were 38-23 entering Saturday — second-best in baseball — with a 5½- game division lead.