MIAMI — Offensive lineman Jonathan Martin wants to return to the NFL, he said in an interview aired Wednesday where he claimed that racial, aggressive and sexually charged comments all played a role in his departure from the Miami Dolphins.
Martin also said he was not the only victim of hazing in the Dolphins’ locker room.
“There are other people that got it too,” Martin said. “I can’t say why I may have gotten more.”
Martin told his side of the story to former NFL coach Tony Dungy, now an analyst for NBC, which aired portions of the interview Tuesday and Wednesday. Dungy is part of a committee assigned by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to review the team’s code of conduct, and said on NBC’s “Today” show that he has spoken with three general managers who believe Martin will have the chance to play again.
- Amazon.com just tip of Seattle boom
- Boeing retools Renton plant for 737's big ramp-up
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Nelson Cruz drives in five, including winning run
- Aaron Hernandez: A $40 million murderer
Most Read Stories
“They all said he’s a good player. He’ll get an opportunity,” Dungy said. “But they’re all afraid of the scrutiny that comes with it. He’s got to get to the right environment, not a place like the Miami locker room was.”
Among the allegations Martin made in his interview with Dungy:
• That teammates directed comments of racial and aggressive nature toward him, as well as sex-related comments about his mother and sister.
• That he talked to members of the team’s coaching staff about the situation, but stopped short of meeting with Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin.
• That he tried to be friends with fellow offensive lineman Richie Incognito, who was suspended for the final eight games for his role in the matter.
• That he contacted friends on other NFL teams, and that they agreed the level of hazing he alleged to have taken place with the Dolphins exceeded what’s typical in a locker-room culture.
“I have no problem with the normal hazing that you see in the NFL, get a haircut, stuff like that, little pranks,” Martin said. “But of a personal, attacking nature, I don’t think there’s any place for that.”
The scandal overshadowed much of the Dolphins’ season.
Martin left the Dolphins in October amid allegations he was harassed by teammates, including Incognito. Martin told Dungy that he “felt trapped, like I didn’t have a way to make it right,” and said he left the team out of concerns for his health and well-being.
Rams fire defensive coordinator
ST. LOUIS — The St. Louis Rams fired defensive coordinator Tim Walton on Wednesday after finishing in the middle of the pack in his one season.
ESPN has reported the Rams will hire Gregg Williams, who was suspended for his role in the Saints bounty scandal. He was a senior assistant on defense last year for the Titans, who fired coach Mike Munchak, and was defensive coordinator under Jeff Fisher in Tennessee from 1997 to 2000.
• Baltimore hired Steve Spagnuolo to be their secondary coach and assistant head coach.
• Buffalo hired Jim Hostler to work as a senior offensive assistant coach.
• Leigh Steinberg has signed Southern Methodist quarterback Garrett Gilbert as his first football client since relaunching his agency four months ago.
• The Miami Dolphins and assistant general manager Brian Gaine have parted ways, a move that comes shortly after he did not get hired as the team’s general manager.