The tight end compared his four years in Dallas to
You think it was easy playing behind Cowboys Pro Bowler Jason Witten for four years?
“He’s one of the best to ever do it. I learned a lot from him,” tight end Martellus Bennett, now with the Giants, told the New York Daily News. “But it’s kind of like, ‘Every once in a while, plants can’t really grow when they’re out-shaded by the tall tree.’
“So I get a little sunlight for myself now.”
Business is blooming
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- APNewsBreak: Investigators look at overdose in Prince death
- Mexican agents hunting fugitives in Arlington slayings: ‘It’s only going to be a few days’
- Seahawks take Germain Ifedi with first-round pick in NFL draft
Most Read Stories
Some 88 members of the Pearls of Russia club joined hands in the sky near Moscow to form a white, blue and red flower and break a world record for a women’s parachuting formation.
Observers declared it the most stunning free-fall display this side of the post-All-Star Mets.
Why, of course
Cancel that APB! The costume of Red Sox mascot Wally the Green Monster — originally feared to have been stolen — was found after a brief search.
Turns out Wally was just sneaking a beer and some chicken down in the clubhouse.
King for a day
Ever wonder what it’d be like to be LeBron James for 24 hours?
“I’d dunk, lift weights, run fast,” Heat teammate Shane Battier told Sports Illustrated. “I’d challenge a horse to a race.”
Try, try again
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, saying “It’s part of being selfless right now,” has imposed a player ban on tweeting during training camp, but veteran observers aren’t optimistic that this edict will be any more successful than the last one.
As in, how’s that ban on player arrests working out?
• Dom Cosentino of Deadspin.com, on reports that elite athletes must replenish 4,000-6,000 calories a day during their peak training periods: “Large quantities of pizza? Ice cream? Beer? That settles it. My own quest for the 2016 Olympics begins tonight.”
• Dan Daly of the Washington Times, via Twitter, on older golfers using those long putters: “It’s hard to decide which chin to anchor it to.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on a Scottish beer featuring eight illegal, performance-enhancing ingredients and high alcohol content, called Never Mind the Anabolics: “Or as a Detroit Lion calls it, a real timesaver.”
• Times reader Bill Littlejohn, after a bird exploded in a ball of blood and feathers when it collided with a rider aboard the 45-story Kingda Ka Rollercoaster at a Six Flags in New Jersey: “They’re thinking of renaming the ride ‘The Big Unit.’ “
Grass Isn’t Greener Dept.
The Los Angeles City Council voted to ban medical marijuana sales at the city’s 790 dispensaries.
Well, that’ll cut down on players demanding a trade to the Lakers or Clippers.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com