Olympic track star Marion Jones filed a defamation lawsuit against BALCO head Victor Conte, who told a national TV audience that...
Track and field
Jones files defamation lawsuit:
Olympic track star Marion Jones filed a defamation lawsuit against BALCO head Victor Conte, who told a national TV audience that he gave her steroids and watched her inject herself with them.
Jones is seeking $25 million in the suit, alleging Conte tarnished her reputation when he made the statement Dec. 3 on ABC’s “20/20.”
Most Read Stories
- Road rage in Kent: Subaru strikes Jeep three times
- Did you get the letter? WSU sends warning to 1 million people after hard drive with personal info is stolen
- UW professor got it right on Trump. So why is he being ignored? | Danny Westneat
- The Amazon effect: Metro adds buses to handle new flock of summer interns
- Social-media speculation after Charleena Lyles shooting — and one thing people got wrong
Conte and three others connected to the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative were indicted by a federal grand jury for a variety of offenses, including illegally distributing steroids.
The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, said Jones passed a lie-detector test and includes a statement from her doctor saying she never used steroids. Jones won three gold medals and two bronzes during the 2000 Sydney Games.
Conte’s statements, the suit said, “are false and malicious.”
In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Conte said the lawsuit was “nothing more than a PR stunt by a desperate woman, who has regularly used drugs throughout her career. I look forward with all confidence to the court proceedings as I stand by everything I said on the ’20/20′ special.”
Charge dropped against Tyson:
Mike Tyson closed the book on one of his many run-ins with the law: his brawl last year with two men outside a Brooklyn hotel.
The former heavyweight champ has completed the 100 hours of community service imposed when he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct under an agreement with prosecutors, lawyer Mel Sachs said in court.
Tyson also completed six months of counseling ordered by the judge. With prosecutors’ consent, the judge dismissed the charge against Tyson and ordered the record sealed.
Singh named Europe’s player of year:
Vijay Singh was honored as the PGA European Tour’s player of the year without winning a title in Europe in 2004.
The Fijian won nine times this year on the U.S. tour, became the first player to pass $10 million in prize money and replaced Tiger Woods as No. 1 in the rankings. Singh had 10 victories in European tour events in previous years.
Second-division team in UEFA Cup final 32:
Alemannia Aachen, a German second-division team that reached its domestic cup final last season, is in the final 32 of the UEFA Cup and the Glasgow Rangers are out.
Aachen won 2-0 at AEK Athens in the final round of group play to qualify for the knockout phase of Europe’s second-most prestigious competition.
Auxerre of France won 2-0 at the Rangers to advance along with Austria’s Graz AK, which upset group winner Alkmaar of the Netherlands 2-0.
U.S. involved in labor dispute:
The U.S. Soccer Federation is threatening to drop all experienced players from the roster for its next World Cup qualifier unless the union agrees to a new labor contract by Feb. 1.
The old deal expired in December 2002.
Norwegians dominate sprints:
Norway dominated World Cup cross-country skiing for a second day in Asiago, Italy, adding victories in the team sprints to their ones in individual races.
Tor Arne Hetland and Jens Arne Svartedal won the men’s final, beating the Russian duo of Nikolai Pankratov and Vassili Rotchev by 2.9 seconds.
World Cup leader Marit Bjoergen teamed with Ella Gjoelme to win the women’s double sprint, finishing one second ahead of the Finnish pair of Aino Kaisa Saarinen and Virpi Kuitunen.
Norway goes 1-2 in biathlon:
Stian Eckhoff and Frode Andresen gave Norway a 1-2 finish in a 10-kilometer World Cup biathlon sprint event in Ostersund, Sweden. Jay Hakkinen of the United States finished seventh, his best outing this season.
International Speedway pays $100M for Staten Island site:
International Speedway Corp. has paid $100 million to buy land in Staten Island to build a New York City track.
The company, which owns or operates 11 of NASCAR’s major tracks, hopes to build a $600 million facility on dormant industrial land.
Seattle Times news services